Chapter 3 : Battle of. . . Phone Calls?

3 ~ Battle of . . . Phone calls?

Serena ran before Calem could shout out. Fennekin was right by her, running on its tiny feet. As she passed the gate, the girl saw a dark figure approach her.

"Kyah!" she screamed. "Fennekin! Tackle!" she ordered without hesitation.

"Ah!" she heard. It was Shauna. "Chespin, use, um, anything!"

Fennekin raced forward and dashed forward, slamming into Chespin who was unsure of what to do.

"SereRee!" Shauna cried, running towards her in pjs and slippers. "This is my debut battle, and I'm challenging you!" She slid to a stop and yelled out, "Tackle!"

Are you kidding me. . . I don't want to do this now, but get ready to be crushed!

"Fennekin, dodge!" Serena whispered. She didn't want to get yelled at by the waitress again. "Kick the sand from the ground, and use ember!"

The little Pokemon dashed forward and jumped over Chespin to avoid the hit, landing behind it. Following Serena's commands, it kicked up some sand with its back legs and then blasted ember.

"Chespin!" Shauna cried, noisily. Serena shushed her.

Why can't people learn to read situations like this? Annoying.

"Fennekin, ember again," whispered Serena, crossing her arms and leaning back on a nearby tree. "Follow up with Tackle."

The battle ended quickly. . .

Serena's Fennekin was indeed stronger than Chespin at the moment due to its type advantage.

"Wah! Chespin, are you alright?!" Shauna ran over to her Pokemon and then looked up to Serena. "You're amazing, SereRee. Here, feed your Fennekin an Oran berry. It'll heal it." She handed the Pokemon a blue, berry which is happily ate. "Yawwnn, I really want to sleep now. Say 'hi' to your mom for me."

"Will do," Serena called out to her, quietly. Will not, she thought.

~Later, near 1:30 A.M.

Serena dashed into her house happily, not as cranky as before, and immediately got smacked with a spatula. "Owwie. . . mama. . ." She winced and rubbed the sore spot on her head.

"Be quiet. Gosh you kids like staying up late. . ." her mom said. "So, what did you do with the neighborhood kids?" She looked up and down Serena and then screamed. "Is that a Pokemon!"

"Mama! Now you're loud!" Serena yelled back.. "You have tons of Pokemon. . . don't freak out. . ."

She got hugged tightly until she squeaked. "You got a Pokemon! Lucky you!" The Pokedex in her pocket rustled and her mom saw it. "You're a Pokemon trainer now, too! Congratulations, darling!"

"Mama. . . " Serena sighed. She dug around her other pocket and pulled out the letter, albeit crushed. "For you. . . "

"Huh? A letter for me?" The woman took it and read the contents. "It says it's from somebody named Sycamore. What could it be?" A teasing smile hit her mother's face. "A love letter?" Serena face palmed herself. She looked at it some more and muttered. "Lovely handwriting, I'm jealous. A request, huh. . ."

"What is it?" Serena asked, impatiently. "Tell me, tell me!"

"Well. . . we've barely unpacked, and all kinds of exciting things are happening! But that doesn't matter, let's get you and Fennekin ready for a journey!" Her mother raced upstairs quickly.