Ch. 10 It Wasn't A Nightmare

Astrids POV

It was a cold January's night.

There was a snow storm.

Everybody was inside.

The roads were slick.

There was a knock at the door.

I sprang up from the old, red couch that I was sitting in and walked to the front door.

Not knowing who it was, I slowly opened it.

I saw a tall, middle aged looking man, who had a shaved head, and a cut down beard. He had a policeman uniform on.

"Hello", he said in a deep voice, "Are you Astridia Lucci?".

I started to get nervous when he spoke.

"Y-yes?", I chocked out.

"I'm sorry to say...but, your parents have been in an accident," he said, hesitating a little.

I felt my stomach drop.

Everything in the world stopped.

You know that feeling whenever you were little and you lost your parents at the store?

I'd felt that, but a hundred times worse.

In fact, so worse that I felt nothing at all. Almost numb.

"Ma'am?", I hear the policeman say.

I didn't respond.

"The...", he continued, "The accident was fatal."

My mind went blank.

I just looked to the ground and fell.

Collapsed, really.

"Mom?," I whispered, "Dad...".

Then I started yelling. Then screaming.

I started clawing at my skin and punching walls.

"No!", I screamed, "NO!".

All I saw was black.

I felt something wet drip down my forehead.

"Astrid," I heard someone say.

"No! Mom, no!", I continued to yell.

I felt someone grab me until I could see a face.

Desterys.

"Wake up! Shh. It's alright. It's just a dream", he whispered.

I looked at him with a scared face, my heart still pounding.

"My..., my mom", I said crying heavily, "and dad, they were supposed to come back... but they...they...".

Destery scoots closer to me, wrapping his arms around my torso.

"Shhh", he whispers in my ear, "It's okay. it's just a nightmare. You're safe now". He starts rocking back and forth, calming me down.

"Destery...", I whisper, looking up at him with puffy eyes, "It wasn't a nightmare".

He stares into my eyes with a blank expression.

"What...what do you mean?", He slowly whispers.

I don't say anything for a minuet, wondering if nows the right time to tell him.

I scoot up in the bed and start my story, "It was January. It was snowing outside. I was at home, watching tv. I was fifteen. I... I heard a knock at the door. I saw a man there and he said...he...".

I almost couldn't finish. I was about to cry again, but he needed to know.

I sniffed in and continued, "He told me my parents...got in an accident."

I couldn't hold it back now, I was sobbing in front of him.

He places a hand on my back and says, "Hey, hey...its okay. You don't have to go on."

"No, no I should.", I whisper, "He said it was fatal. I... I didn't know what to say or what to do or even what to think.

It felt like my whole body went numb. I fell to the ground and just freaked out.

I started screaming and punching walls. I don't really remember much after that... I know I had to live with my aunt until I was eighteen and then I moved in with Char."

After I was finished, Destery just stared at his hands.

I knew he felt bad, but he didn't need to. I'm not worth that.

"I...",he starts, "I- I don't know what to say... Astrid, I'm so sorry."

I look at my hands, also, and say, "Its fine. It happened a long time ago."

My hands started to shake.

I was still trying to hold back my tears when I said that.

He could tell because the next thing I knew, he grabbed me into a hug.

Something I really needed.

I put my arms around his neck and starting crying.

He brushed my hair with his fingers and just whispered to me.

I knew he was going to find out eventually. I just wish he didn't find out like this.

We just sat there, holding each other, not saying anything.

Just thinking.

I thought about looking at the clock to check the time, but based on the dark surrounding the room, it was still night.

I heard some mumbling across the room and knew it was Nathan, because Char would sleep through an apocalypse.

Speaking of Char, where is she?

"Hey, Destery, do you see Char?", I whisper to him.

He looks up and says, "Uh... Oh! She's sleeping under the sink."

I chuckle and just nod.

Sounds like a place she'd go.

I snuggle back into Desterys arms and try to drift into a dreamless sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Desterys POV

As we layed there together, I couldn't help but wonder when she was planning on telling me this.

I felt fucking terrible when she told me. I didn't even know what to say.

Seeing her cry for the first time was the hardest thing to watch.

I just wanted to hold her forever and never let go.

I turned towards her to see if she was asleep. Thankfully yes, so I slowly sat up and put on my sneakers.

After hearing everything she said, I needed a walk.

I walk out of the room, down the stairs and out of the lobby.

As I walked past the front desk, I saw the clock that said 3:49 am.

All of the workers behind the desk were giving me strange looks as I briskly walked out of the hotel in the middle of the night, but fuck them.

The air outside was cool and relaxing, but I still couldn't stop thinking about Astrid.

She is the best person I've ever met in my life, and it kills me to see her like that.

She didn't deserve it.

I'll never let anything else happen to her.

Never let anyone hurt her.

Because... I think....

I love her.

-------------

Omg! Over 300 reads! You guys are awesome! Comment if u liked the chapter, it's was pretty depressing though... lol but yea ok bye! <3