Chapter 6

May was just taking the stuffed tomatoes out of the oven, when she heard Piorret open the front door. She flipped the steaks that were grilling and closed the oven before turning around to shoot some unpleasant comment to Matthew.

"Elijah?" May exclaimed when she saw the stockbroker in her kitchen. "What are you doing here?"

"I came to see how you were doing." He caught the slight flush to her cheeks coming from the work and the heat of the kitchen. "I can see that your failed marriage hasn't damaged your talent."

"I would hope not. Would you like something to drink?" May was happy to note that the etiquette drummed in her at school still rose to the surface when she was flustered.

"Do you have a beer?"

"Um. I think so." May went to the fridge and grabbed one of the beers. She wondered silently how Elijah had found out where she was. "Here you go." She handed him the beer and moved back to the oven and pulled the steaks out of the oven just far enough to flip them once again.

"I'll be right back. I need to get my uncle for supper. I hope you plan on staying." There was that etiquette again.

"I wouldn't miss your food or company for the world."

May nodded, and, once Elijah was comfortable, excused herself on the pretense of getting Piorret for supper. In reality, she simply wanted to quiz Piorret on why he let Elijah in the house. She decided that Elijah might not be the one for her. He had too much drive and people with too much drive would want her to have the same drive.

"Why, Piorret? Who lets a stranger into a house?"

Piorret smiled. "He seemed like a nice gentleman," he explained. Plus, the competition would be good for Matthew.

"Well, supper's ready. And now we have two guests," May said before she slipped out of the room.

Returning to the kitchen, she pulled the steaks out of the oven. She didn't quite know what to say to Elijah, especially since she hadn't gotten over the shock of him showing up at her house.

"So tell me what you have been up to the last couple days?" Elijah drank his beer as he sat at the kitchen table.

"Nothing much," she said evasively.

"Where's your dog?"

As if on command, May heard the greeting bark of Shilo. "He's coming. Can you just carry these to the table?" She handed him the stuffed tomatoes and put the steaks on a communal plate and put it on the table herself. Realizing she was short not only a plate setting, but also a steak, she hurried to fix both. With the steak broiling May set up another place setting and returned to the kitchen in time to flip the steak.

"Hello." Matthew looked at the man sitting rather comfortably in the kitchen.

"Hello."

May heard the territorial-male voices and cringed. Why did men have to behave like Shilo did when another dog happened to wander into his territory?

"May?"

May raised an eyebrow at the tone she hadn't heard from someone other than Piorret. Matthew had the art of making her feel as if she was five and had spilled milk over the floor. "Yes."

"Can I talk to you quickly?" He looked pointedly at Elijah. "Watch the food, would you?"

"Sure thing," Elijah agreed without taking offense at the menial task.

May followed Matthew out of the room and tried not to roll her eyes. He brought her to the small bathroom off the end of the hallway. Opening the door, he waited for May to enter before entering himself and closing the door behind him.