I. (Part I)

I felt nervous. Why the hell did I feel nervous?

I chewed my lip unceasingly as I slipped down halls. It was quiet. Too quiet. I tugged on the ribbon wrapped snuggly on my neck. Is it hot in here? Oh my god, it's way too hot.

I inhaled slowly and plugged my anxious thoughts.

Calm down Delta, I chided, flooding my head with a serene voice. Nothing is going to go wrong. Remember what Irel said? Wellston is one of the most prestigious schools here. You're going to do well.

But despite these thoughts, my body wasn't reacting the same way.

"Oof!"

My body was suddenly knocked back by a large force. A tornado of papers fluttered around me, flushing my cheeks a bright pink. Shaking my navy blue forehead bangs out of my face, I peered upwards.

A boy, who looked a tad bit older than me, had golden blonde hair and blue eyes. Despite his handsome features, his cold eyes held an unwelcoming expression that locked onto me.

"I'm sorry." I said earnestly, scrambling to pick up his scattered leaflets.

He had...a rather powerful aura to him. With his presence, I knew was a person of authority, probably gifted as an elite tier or higher.

"You're new here, aren't you?" He asked as he took his papers back.

"Yeah." I said. "I'm Delta. Sorry about that." I introduced sheepishly.

"Arlo. Watch where you're going next time." His voice was icy as he pompously strided away, with his strong presence dissipating.

Great, I thought, glaring daggers at the floor.
Five minutes on campus and I make a complete idiot out of myself. But that doesn't constitute him to act like a complete dick.

With a irritable attitude, I drew closer to my assigned homeroom and swung the heavy door open, catching everyone's attention in the immediate vicinity. The sudden silence made my stomach churn uneasily.

The biology teacher looked at me expressionlessly.

"Are you Delta?" He asked in a monotone voice.

"Yes." I said slowly, preventing my snappy attitude from becoming evident in my voice.

"Okay Delta, diagrams and notes are due at the end-"

"You mean these?" I interrupted, handing a small stack of tidy notes. "I went over this unit with my tutor a week before coming here."

He suspiciously took them, scanning over the highlighted phrases and bulleted facts before giving me a nod of approval.

"Very good, your seat is next to Isen. Please find something quiet to do before class ends in the meantime."

An ambitious boy with amber hair caught my eye, offering me a friendly expression as I sat down. He grinned ear to ear, which immediately melted my salty mood. I couldn't help but smile back.

"I'm Isen. Welcome to Wellston." He shook my hand diligently, bittersweet eyes somewhat warming.

"I'm Delta. Thanks." My eyes wandered to his side of the desk. Numerous sheets of paper littered nearly the entire surface, exposing his failed attempts on drawing the first diagram.

Isen quickly noticed and sheepishly collected the sheets and stowed them away, his cheeks burning a visible pink.

"I-I'm not very adept in this unit." He scratched his head. "Biochem is really one of my strong suits."

"Heh, don't worry about it." I smiled again and produced two fresh sheets of paper as he cracked open the book to the appropriate page.
"DNA sequencing is a pain."

"Y-yeah." Isen replied awkwardly as we began working. "So you transferred here today?" Where did you attend school before?"

"I did independent studies my entire life until now. My adoptive mother said it'd be good if I was exposed to some form of social intricacies in my teenage years before I graduated." I said as I helped him finish the first diagram. "You know, the basic stuff you need in the real world.

"Ah, I see, that makes sense I guess." As he soaked that knowledge, Isen formulated another response. "That must've been nice being homeschooled. Not having a specific schedule or needing to wake up early is a luxury you don't really get in public school."

This time, I forced a grin. None of those things really mattered to me.

"It was lonely, actually. It's all worth it if I could make a couple of friends." I peered down at the answers scribbled onto his paper. "Er...Isen, I can tutor you with this if you want."

"That bad, huh?" He sighed and crumpled the sheet up. "Dammit, I don't get any of this. I don't even know why I decided to take AP Biology."

"Don't worry!" I smiled in assurance. "This is the hardest unit, and everything after this is a breeze." I watched him click an elegant pen, most likely his, furiously.

"If you say so....but the library is closed after class for a teachers' meeting, so i'm not sure-"

I cut him off politely.

"If it's no trouble to you, we can go to my dorm room." I offered.

Red splotches began to creep up Isen's face.

"I-I mean, my luggage was taken up to the room and i'm not sure where the girls' dormitories even a-are." I stumbled over my words, my face mirroring his same reaction. "So....um....I kind of need someone to navigate, you know?" I clarified quickly.

Ugh. I hate that i'm so pale. I know the flush in my cheeks was evident.

"Y-yeah, of course!"

:;

"Ah, its all starting to make sense now!"

Isen threw up his hands victoriously, holding his pen in his hand as he began to scribble more answers down. My scanned over the paper.

"Yes! That's correct!" I high-fived him. "Good job." I stood up and stretched, satisfied with our productive study session.

I peered outside my dorm living room and looked outside. The sun was on the brink of being set, but it wasn't quite down yet.

"I think we should celebrate. I know this fantastic boba place not too far from here." I winked.

"Are you sure? You just finished unpacking and  we spent nearly two hours studying. Don't you need to rest up?"

"Nah. I actually need to buy more groceries for the fridge. This Remi girl doesn't really stock up on that fridge." I said.

"She likes to eat out more often than cook. But if we're gonna go out, at least let me treat you to the drinks. As a token of appreciation." Isen grinned childishly.

"Fine, but if you try to pay for my groceries, i'm not doing any more study sessions for you." :;