Chapter 3

CHAPTER 3

"Are you sure you don't want anything before I leave?" Dave was hovering over the bed where I had my face stuffed in my pillow.

"No, I'm fine," I answer, my voice muffled by the pillow.

"Honey, I can't hear you."

I lift my face to look at him, "I'm fine."

I smile, hoping to make him think it was true.

He gave me a wary look before bending down and kissing my forehead.

"Alright, I have to go then. I'll be home before you know it. Don't eat all the peanut butter." he jokes before walking out and a few seconds later I hear the front door close.

I heaved a sigh before rolling off the bed lazily. I. Am. So. Bored.

It's been four days since I got home. I wasn't allowed to leave the perimeter of my property. Bleh.

It broke my heart that no one had come to visit me. No one wanted to talk to a crazy teacher who killed her student for no reason. I don't blame them.

Only Nathan Cooperman came over once. He told me that there was going to be a trial.

"Like in 'Legally Blonde'?" I asked. Mental slap. Legally Blonde? You're a 30 year old woman; no one is allowed to know you still watch that!

Nathan laughed, "Yes, like in Legally Blonde."

That had been two days ago. The trial was in a week. We basically had a week to find any proof that I was not guilty.

At least I had a lawyer I could trust. The state had offered me an oaf who seemed to have no clue what was going on.

God must have been watching over me because it turns out that Nathan's step brother has a degree in law.

"So, you're a lawyer?" I had asked a few days ago when I had met Arthur Cooperman.

He was a tall, lean man, much like Nathan. However he had light brown hair with a coppery hue and Nathan had dark, almost black hair. He had warm blue eyes and a slanted smile. Much like Nathan, he was good looking.

"Technically, yes. I've only had one trial, though. It was a small shoplifting thing," he shrugged.

"Oh. Did you win?"

"No," he said, his voice getting high as he got a little uncomfortable, "but I know how the system works. I don't mean to sound conceded but I'm best chance you have."

"Ok, thanks for helping me."

"Of course, anything to help a damsel in distress," he smiled and winked.

So I now had a lawyer and police officer brothers on my side. And a cute ones at that.

Thoughts flew above my head as I made my way downstairs to the kitchen. I grabbed the tub of Ben & Jerry's cookies and cream ice cream before jumping on the couch and turning on the TV.

I flipped through channels, finally settling on "Finding Nemo" that was playing on a kids' channel.

Halfway through the movie I changed fatty food and went to grab the peanut butter.

It was all gone by the end of the movie.

I heaved another heavy sigh. It was around 11. I decided to take a shower.

The shower has always been my sanctuary. The closed confines of a white marble tub under the relaxing sensation of a thousand water pellets hitting my body, warming it up by the second and filling my head with the stream that drifted throughout the bathroom.

Mhmm, yeah. If I hadn't met Dave, I would have probably married a shower.

* * *

After the shower, I found myself unable to watch TV. I decided on sitting on the couch, a steaming cup of Twinning's Green Tea, and a notepad by side. I sat cross legged, closing my eyes, and thinking back to that Friday afternoon, hoping to find something to help me in court.

The memories came back easily...

My talk with Kate and her revelation. She left and I sat down to work. I texted Dave. I worked nonstop for two hours. I packed my stuff and left.

Then came the strange part. I walk down the hallway, there's a noise in the closet. I pull out my phone, my I.D. slips out and under the door. I go inside. I get my I.D. and run out.

In my mind, I run over the part when I was in the closet, I feel like I'm transpired back there. I can practically hear, feel and smell like I did when I was in the closet.

Something wasn't right and I could feel it. Now I know but something still doesn't click. My heart pounds and I know. I know why I felt so spooked in the closet.

My eyes shoot open and I scream in fright as I see a figure standing in front of me.

"Ah! Erin! I'm sorry; I didn't mean to scare you!"

Nathan. He looks equally scared by my sudden cry. I put a hand to my heart and feel its frantic beating. I take a deep calming breath.

"I came by and knocked but you didn't answer so I got worried and went through the back. Sorry," he looked at me sheepishly, "what were you doing?"

"No, it's okay," my voice comes back but it quivers a bit," I was thinking back to Friday, when I was going home. I wanted to see if I could anything that could help us in trial."

Nathan quirks an eyebrow.

"Smart idea," I answer thoughtfully, "did you find anything?"

He sits down and looks at me expectantly. I take another deep breathe, trying to calm my frantic heart beat. My tongue passes over my dry lips.

"That night, when I was passing by the closet, I went in because my I.D. fell under the door," I began and Nathan nodded. I already told him this, "it fell because I pulled out my phone because I heard a sound inside. And when I went inside I felt -watched. Nathan... either Kate was still, barely alive or... Or the killer was still in there with me."

*******************************************

This chapter is ew.

I don't really know who's reading this but to you people who show as the 19 reads, THANK YOU!

I really appreciate you looking at this and just thanks :)

 Comment. Vote. Eat peanut butter out of the jar.