Chapter 19: Romeo And Juliet

Start from the beginning

I shook my head out of the thought and payed my full attention to the worksheet. I had no idea for any of the answers so I just looked over at Luke's sheet and filled all of them in without him noticing. 

I kept kicking my foot on the corner of the desk repeatedly as the last minutes of class started to come around. I began to bite my nails knowing that as the clock kept ticking that would mean every second that passed would be closer to performing in front of everyone

When class was finally over Luke waved goodbye to Tayla and I whilst the two of us headed through the double doors of the theatre to begin the final dress rehearsals.

When we entered the stage was already set up for the first scene. I gaped at how amazing and realistic the setup and all the props looked even if drama and school plays weren't really my thing.

"Ooh yay we get to wear our costumes!" Tayla exclaimed as we headed backstage to the dressing room section. There was a door labelled 'Juliet' that was positioned right next to Romeo's dressing room. 

I looked at Tayla not wanting to go into the room alone but she gave me a confident nod "I am definitely seeing your costume." She winked as we pushed open the door and walked in together.

As soon as we entered, my eyes were immediately drawn to the dress hanging on the wall. It was quite long reaching about just past your ankle. The fabric was a velvet red colour with a golden, diamond pattern encrusted right down the middle of the dress. I couldn't pull my eyes away, it was absolutely beautiful. Tayla and I rushed over towards it to feel the material. We both ran our hands along the dress as the soft fabric skimmed our finger tips.

"Jamie, I can't believe you get to wear this!" Tayla said in awe still looking up and down the dress with her hand still grasped onto it.

"I know." I breathed heavily.

"Not any more unfortunately."

Tayla and I both turned around at the exact same time to face the voice that was standing at the door frame of the dressing room. I couldn't believe it, of course I knew this was too good to be true. "Liv." I managed to muster but the one word seemed to struggle to get out of my throat. 

"Hello Jamie." She purred in that voice that always seemed to tick me off, "And Tayla."

"What do you mean not any more?" Tayla had her fists balled looking like she was ready to throw a punch in Liv's direction.

"Well, I only got told today that Jamie was my understudy for the time being since I was sick but I'm back, so it looks like you're not needed any more." Liv shot a fake smile in my direction making my face glow with rage.

"So you just pretty much take the role of Juliet off me!?" I felt my jaw tighten as I said the words aloud.

"It wasn't even you role in the first place." Liv snickered adjusting her posture and standing up taller. "No, I'm not letting this happen." Tayla defended me, never letting her gaze leave Liv's, "I'm talking to Mr Charlesworth about this."

"One step ahead of you Tay." Liv smirked, "I already told him I was back and he said that I could automatically just have my role since I was originally cast as Juliet"

"What, just like that?" Tayla refused to believe what Liv was saying.

"Yes, just like that but this doesn't even involve you, so why do you care so much?" Liv was beginning to grow bored of Tayla's comebacks.

"Because Jamie is my friend."  Tayla said firmly stomping her foot on the ground for effect, "Unlike you, you bitch."

Liv's subtle blue eyes blinked a few times in disbelief as Tayla gave me one last look. "This is all up to you now." She whispered in my ear pushing past Liv to leave the two of us alone.  Liv's expression had completely changed now that Tayla was gone. She was more confident and now I was more weak without Tayla by my side.