52. Funeral

The morning was misty, the air damp with grief. Clouds hid the sky, but the sun's barren light pushed through regardless. Its pale rays rested on the lone half-broken ship by Dragon's Edge as it drifted through the wispy fog, edging slowly away from the shore.

It was a hunter's ship, or it used to be. The thing was too damaged for the hunters to be able to return with. Since then, the ship had been cleared of its weapons. Its sail, with the dragon hunter's symbol, had been ripped off and in its place hung Berk's crest. Being the only ship for miles, it was the riders' only option to lay Thornado's body in.

"May the Valkyries welcome you," Stoick's booming grief-stricken voice carried out over the still ocean, "and lead you through Odin's great battlefield."

Gobber stood beside him, the two friends having flown over at once when they got the news, and with them stood all the riders and Kiara along the top of a cliff. They all held a bow and an arrow with a flickering flame. All their dragons stood faithfully behind them. All silent.

"May they sing your name with love and fury," Stoick's words continued and his grip on the bow tightened as he held it to his heart. "So that we may hear it rise from the depths of Valhalla."

Loss and heartbreak weighed heavily on everyone and, with Thornado's children right beside her, that weight felt all the more real to Kiara.

"I know that you've taken your rightful place in the land of selfless heroes."

Kiara remained rooted to her spot to honour his sacrifice, though she felt like a criminal among saints.

"For a great dragon has fallen," Stoick said.

The dragons cooed softly.

"A warrior."

Some of the riders sniffled, their bows gripped tight.

"A defender."

Hiccup's tear-filled eyes stayed fixed on the ship.

"A father."

Stoick's watery eyes crinkled at the edges. A proud smile had risen on his face.

"A friend."

Kiara's heart ached, not just for her own loss, but for everyone else's and for the pain Stoick must be feeling. She knew they had a strong bond. And she had broken it.

One by one, everyone lifted their bows, knocked their arrows and aimed high. Together they fired for the ship.

The arrows flew their magnificent arching path and landed with quiet thuds across the deck. The flames spread steadily from there and would soon be nicking the edges of the white sheet Thornado was under.

Fire has a bold quality. Maybe it was the reason Kiara's feet found the strength to slowly walk forwards and stand beside the Cheif of Berk -it was that or the squeezing in her heart. She swallowed, preparing to speak, and noticed gratefully that Gobber had hobbled away so that no one was in earshot of her quiet words.

"I'm so sorry." She wished for better words to express how much she meant it.

"Whatever for, lass?" Stoick asked, his gaze leaving the flickering flames to land on her.

"I'm sure you know. I... I was there when... when it happened." She breathed deeply to try and lessen the knot forming in her throat. "And he died because of me," she whispered. "It was all my fault."

"Kiara, you're not to blame for the action of some hunter." The compassion is his voice bothered Kiara. She was expecting harshness, wanting it even. She knew she deserved just that. Instead, he said, "It was not your fault."