i. Angel Eyes

ONE ANGEL EYES

(JUNE, '94)

      BRIAR CROUCH likes to see everything in three ways — before, during, and after. As a Seer it makes things easier to think about, considering her inner eye already jumps to the after part of everything... And, really, for a girl that deals with a lot of shit, everything becomes a little easier to live with when you think, in just two hours, I won't be doing this, I'll be doing something far nicer. It helped her get through full moons especially, the idea of, tonight's going to a nightmare come to life, but, tomorrow morning I'll be able to go into the town near Beauxbatons with Fleur, and we'll be able to get pretty matching necklaces and maybe a couple pastries.

       All of this year, that's been the case. Briar'll find herself sitting in one of her Fine Arts lessons and she'll be thinking, this time in eight hours, I'll have snuck out and I'll be turning the third floor corridor into a swamp.

       But, now, as Briar lies on her bed in her dorm room, thirty minutes until the train running to Paris leaves, the thing on her mind is miles different to what it normally is. Instead of thinking about her next prank, she's thinking about what's going to happen when she leaves Beauxbatons for the summer — because, sure, her grandparents don't know what she's doing, nor does Livvy, so there's no way that they will find out... But what if they do? What will they do if they find out she's not only lied to them, about staying over at her new friend Fleur's house for the weekend, but she lied about it to spend the weekend with her father?

       That's not the main reason, though, why Briar's shitting herself over this weekend. Sure, her grandparents would be furious if they ever found out, but they'll get over it. Her grandpa thinks she's too much of a golden girl and he'll blame her misbehaviour on someone else. It's weird that Madam Maxime's yet to let him know about the amount of misadventures Briar has been on whilst at Beauxbatons, but even then, Briar knows that her grandpa will say something like, "It must be the influence of those friends from your old school, still gripping onto you..."