Chapter Twenty-Three

I came back to the group mentally preparing to feel as small as I did that night a year ago and Hunter had disappeared. Everyone seemed confused as to what happened and looked to me for answers - not Oliver or Caden. I was confused wondering where he went and why he gave up so easy.

B suddenly volunteered, "It's her ex from home. He's an asshole."

Everyone finally looked somewhere else but were desperate for more details from the source.

Oliver sat on the edge of couch as he turned all the way around only to glare at her statement. It wasn't a true statement but I'm sure she thought it smoothed things over from being awkward to understandable.

But it didn't explain Caden and Oliver's behavior. How they knew Hunter seemingly so well.

I felt Oliver's eyes dig into me silently questioning if I actually dated him. I could feel him questioning even that night with Hunter.

I could only assume what he was thinking, that I was some love sick girl who didn't get her way so I made up something degrading to ruin his reputation.

They were all looking at me to explain but no words were coming out.

Hayley snapped clearly aggravated with waiting for some sort of explanation, "Earth to Layla... Anyone in there... What's up with the asshole boyfriend?"

I stood up overwhelmed. My chest felt heavy and I couldn't think straight any more. He wouldn't be here if Oliver didn't seek him out.

He stood up just to tell Hayley, "Shut up Hayley. You're acting like a bitch."

I swallowed hard saying too quickly, "I have to go."

I hadn't ever left an uncomfortable situation so quickly. Oliver stood up shouting my name but it wasn't enough from someone who ignored me after lecturing me on how "special" giving myself to him would be.

I turned around slightly, angry about him finally speaking to me now or all times, "I don't need you protecting me Oliver."

The air outside was crisp, worlds apart from the heavily sair inside. I was thankful Oliver didn't follow me. I walked further from the building without any sense of direction. No one was allowed to smoke inside, not even their loyal customer Oliver. The outside was polluted with clouds of smoke hanging in the air from everyone going between smoking and smoke-free.

It smelled like cigarettes burning at one end but it was really marijuana. I saw the boots blend in with the night but the ambient white gave him away.

It wasn't surprising he'd be the only one smoking something strong then cigarettes. In high school he carried a faint pot scent and everyone was aware he was who you went to for a connection to drugs.

I froze again. Just like when I saw him a year later in Adrian's hallways before I left. I wondered when this feeling would fade. When would I be okay seeing my attacker without these debilitating effects. I backed up slowly, unexpectedly hitting the brick holding the cold.

Maybe it would be easier if he wasn't alone but the boys he arrived with weren't anywhere to be found.

He was always hunting me. Always trapping me.

He was silent longer than I expected as he took long drags for the thicker cigarette shape. I didn't know what he would say when he finally did speak. All I knew for sure was he didn't let people talk down to him or gain an upper hand.

Back in high school he was always getting suspended for fighting everyone - security on campus, football players, other students, teachers.

Oliver may think all he's done, all the mistakes, added up to some bad reputation but Hunter was the conservator of his decisions. Specifically collecting bad decisions, mistakes, and fault to make a complete collection.