Chapter 10

Paul began unbuttoning his shirt and the class laughed and cheered. I couldn't believe Paul was actually doing all of this. I looked up at his toned body, and crossed my legs after getting excited.

"Mr. Newman!" The Professor shouted out. The class began banging on the desk rhythmically, and once Paul was halfway down his jacket the Professor left the room.

"I guess he couldn't take it." Pail shrugged at his fine button and showed off his muscular torso. Myrtle sighed with a smile as she looked up at him.

"Paul, get down from there!" I laughed as I tugged at his pajama pants.

"You know what I say? I say we all leave this class and refuse to come back until they treat their students better!" Paul shouted out, and the whole class got quiet. He cleared his throat. "Damn, you guys are diligent students, are you?"

They laughed at his comment.

"Well, if you don't want to hurt your grade by leaving... then just quietly stand up to authority!" Paul shouted and they all cheered. "I won't let them restrain me any longer!"

"Yeah!" The class shouted and Paul swung off his shirt. Now everyone was full on screaming, and some even whistled.

My smile faded as I looked behind Paul to find the classroom door opening once again. Professor Zimmerman was pointing someone into the room, and in walked President Peter, the leader of the campus.

He stood there behind Paul, and the class slowly got quiet as a wave of fear washed through it. Paul still had his hands lifted up with a smile.

"What's going on?" Paul asked and he looked down at me. I pointed my eyes over to the door, and Paul turned around.

He pierced his lips together, and nodded in defeat. Then, he turned back to the class, took a final bow, and jumped off the chair.

As he shrugged on his coat, he looked around, and the class gave him one final, calm applause.

"Thank you, thank you." Paul lifted a hand. Then he walked to President Peter who stood next to Professor Zimmerman.

"Me. Campbell, I'd like you to come with us as well." Professor Zimmerman announced.

"Me?!" I asked in shock.

"Her?!" Paul shouted out angrily.

"I don't want to hear a single word from you, Mr. Newman." President Peter said as he tilted his head low.

I slowly stood up, and I could hear people whispering. I never got into trouble, and yet here I was getting called out of the classroom. I stood beside Paul, and he stared at me as he stood next to me.

"I'm sorry." He mouthed to me, and I looked forward. I was so angry at him, I couldn't put it into words.

"Mr. Newman, please retrieve your shirt... or your..." President Peter began.

"His jacket. He only came in a jacket." Professor Zimmerman informed with disgust traced in his voice. Paul hung his head toward the floor, and slowly walked to where we sat. He picked his jacket off the ground, flung it over his arm, and stood next to me once again.

"Put the article of clothing on, Mr. Newman." President Peter asked of him.

Paul grinned as he opened his jacket and shrugged it on.

"And button it up, Mr. Newman. So that your body is properly covered." President Peter added. Paul purposely buttoned it up nice and slow, just to annoy him.

"Now, if you both will follow me, please." President Peter said as he turned and held the door open for us.

"I hope you're happy with yourself." Paul mumbled jokingly at Professor Zimmerman as he walked out, and the class laughed once again.

I pouted as Paul and I both sat in the President's office to be scolded. I felt like I was a child— it was high school all over again. Although this wouldn't happen to me in high school, I was always a good student.

"The behavior displayed today was crass, ungentlemanly, cruel to the weaker sex and all around unacceptable here at Kenyon College." The President nodded. "You should be ashamed of yourself, Mr. Newman."

"I get all of that— but what does this have to do with her?" Paul asked, and I shot a glare at him.

"Well, Professor Zimmerman said Ms. Campbell was participating in the spectacle as well." President Peter told us. I looked down at my lap, I knew it was no use in trying to convince him otherwise.

"That's not what happened at all! I was the one clowning around, she shouldn't be affected because of it!" Paul said passionately. "She shouldn't be here at all!"

"Ms. Campbell was seen laughing and engaging with you." President Peter said.

"So was the rest of the class!" Paul shouted with risen eyebrows. The office door opened, and a lady poked her head in.

"I hope I'm not interrupting, but your wife is on the line for you, Pete." She told President Peter, then shut the door.

"I wish she'd stop barging in like that." President Peter sighed. Paul chuckled.

"What?" President Peter asked.

"Nothing." Paul grinned.

"No, really, Mr. Newman. I'd like to know what could possibly be so comedic at this moment." The President asked.

"Well if you wanna know." Paul started as he sat back in his seat with his legs spread wide. "I was wondering why she called you Pete."

President Pete squinted at Paul as Paul leaned forward. "Is that her nickname for you? Does she call you Pete when making love?"

"You are out of line, as usual, Mr. Newman." The President spat back. "But if you must know, Pete is not a pet name. It's my first name."

Paul and I looked at each other. "Your what?" Paul asked.

"My first name." President Peter answered.

"Your name is Pete Peter?" Paul asked. "What happened, did your parents hate you or something?"

"I will not take your criticism or your tomfoolery any longer, Mr. Newman. Now excuse me while I take this call from my wife." The President stood up and began walking from around the desk. He opened the door, and turned around. "And do not touch anything."

Then he turned around and left the room. Paul stood up and took a stretch, then walked around the desk. He whistled as he picked up a stack of papers, then dropped them back on the desk. Then he picked up other papers, and his eyes rose as he made a high-pitched noise while whistling.

"Feel bad for that guy." Paul commented then dropped the papers back on the desk. I rolled my eyes at him, he could've ever find it within himself to follow the rules— even when they were so easy to follow."