Chapter Sixteen

Despite my frustration with Ross, I wanted to believe that he'd bring my parents, and I waited eagerly each day for them. Ross didn't let me down. Three days after we'd gone sledding, the butler voice summoned me early in the morning.

"Your parents are on their way, miss," he said from the doorway. "Is there anything special you would like prepared for the meals?"

"Venison meatballs," I replied automatically. That was Dad's favorite. "And salmon." Mom always loved to order fish when we went out to eat, and I had a vague memory of her once referring to salmon as a delicacy. I paused. This would be my first time seeing Mom since she left; what would I say to her? I pushed that thought aside and tried to concentrate. "Oh, and lots of chocolate ice cream for after." Mom loved chocolate anything.

"Very good. The kitchen will fill in the other courses as it pleases them, unless you have suggestions for soup or salad?"

I shook my head. I was too distracted to think of the rest of the food. Even though Ross had promised to bring my parents to the castle, a part of me hadn't really believed he would. I hadn't even been sure Mom was at home, but if Ross had been able to find her, I assumed she must have come back. That thought made my heart clench a little bit; I'd sort of accepted the fact that I'd driven Mom away because of my beauty, but if she was back with Dad, that proved it. Glancing around the room, I tried to see it through my parents' eyes. Would they like it? Would they even be able to see the castle? I'd thought the place was too strange to be opened to outsiders, but Ross had proved me wrong. He must really love me if he'll invite complete strangers into his home like this. My annoyance at him for the invisibility thing was replaced with a surge of affection, and I smiled for the first time in days.

"When will they be here?" I asked the voice lingering by my door.

"By mid-afternoon."

"Tell Sean I won't meet him this morning, will you?" I hated to cancel my herbal lessons, but I wanted to make sure everything in the castle was perfect before my parents arrived.

"There are plenty of servants. You don't need to take care of the cleaning."

I laughed. "I know that! You've never let me help out around here. I just want time to get myself ready."

The voice was distant, almost annoyed. "Whatever you say." The door clicked shut, and I flew out of bed. I wanted to show my parents everything, but I realized I'd better check with the castle and see which rooms it would let me into. I dressed hurriedly then headed into the hall.

The rooms on the first floor wouldn't open, but I tried the game room on the second floor. I'd been hanging out in there lately. There was a pool table ready for play, stacks of board games in a cabinet, and my favorite, a beat-up foosball table. That hadn't been there the first time I found the room, but it was like Ross said: the palace was continuously adjusting itself to me. Thankfully, that room was unlocked. At least there would be something to do other than sit in the dark while my parents were here.

I kept prowling around, testing doors. The castle let me into the library upstairs, which was somehow now filled with books like a normal library, as well as a small dining room with windows looking out on the mountains. I'd never eaten in there with Ross, and I was excited to show my parents the breathtaking view.

When I got back to my room, I noticed that candles extended down the hallway beyond me. Cautiously, I opened the door next to mine and discovered a guest room. The room itself was smaller than my room, but the bed was a queen covered in spotless white pillows and a champagne-colored blanket. It was perfect for Mom.