Ralof x Reader ~Riddles of the Simplest Kind~

You had a right to be nervous.

Being a wife of only 3 months, your husband had been called for a nearby capture for the Stormcloak army, and even though he was high in the ranks, it didn't stop you worrying about him.

You gaze flickered from the window, watching your husband's sister make her way to you with soft footsteps and a candle in hand.

Gerdur put a comforting and on your shoulder, your sister in law. "He'll come back, just like he always has. Put your mind to rest, dear." was her soft plead.

Only for the night, Ralof's sister had gently demanded she stay in your home to be there to ease your doubt and unease. Gods, you couldn't imagine what you'd do if he had actually passed. If he...

No, you couldn't think about it. He would be home soon, home with the morning sun as he always was with new stories to tell and long hugs.

You never usually over thought this much, but you couldn't help it. There was a secret you'd been keeping, and been keeping well.

If he died before you got to tell him, gods, you'd be a total wreck.

You lightly whapped your own forehead, scolding yourself for thinking so glumly with a tired sigh. Ralof being in the army paid incredibly well and combined with your funds from some weekend sales at Whiterun, your financial state was as gleaming as a newly polished sword. Even if something happened to him, an injury of some sort, you could cover it without military help with ease. 

Huffing, you walked away from the window, making your way into the extra room in your house that held a few stuffed bookshelves, a couch, table, and a heater that currently had just been restocked with wood courtesy of Gerdur. The room was dim, lit by only a single lantern, but it was warm.

You collapsed into the sofa and unfolded a blanket that had been neatly placed on the coffee table, haphazardly throwing it on yourself before drifting off into a light slumber.

''''

Only a few meager hours later after Gerdur had gone back home, you jolted awake at the sound of a heavy brigade marching and almost fell off the dark couch you'd slept on. Wide awake, you had to bite back a smile.

Moving with haste, you shuffled into the entryway and wiggled your boots on, threw on your coat (it was mid-winter), and speed walked outside to the main street.

A few others were also exiting their homes, also having relatives or loved ones coming back or just choosing to watch the brigade go by.

The quiet chatter of the company entering Riverwood's threshold made your stomach both drop and flip.

You held your breath as the General walked by, and you searched rather frantically for your spouse.

No, this was not happening.

You forced yourself to stay calm. You were overreacting, and the brigade hadn't even passed.

Only seconds later, you saw Ralof, with his stupid blond hair and a large grin as he expertly weaved himself out of the march and jogged straight towards you.

Tears gathered in your eyes, and you ran to him, jumping in his arms as he laughed.

"Hello to you too, dear." he teased, planting a kiss on your forehead while you looked into his eyes, heart filled with warmth once more no matter the chill of the morning that surrounded you.

Gods, how you ached for his mere presence some nights. He was always warm, and how you childishly cherished the fact. Nothing compared to him, his scent, his smile, his laugh. You didn't care if you were the richest woman in all of Skyrim, without Ralof, you were only a shell. He was the apple of your eye, and no doubt you were the same to him.

"I missed you," you murmured with a smile, muffled in his armor.

"I've missed you more." he responded as the company marched out of Riverwood behind him, his chin resting on yours.

"Oh, I meant to say we." you corrected cheekily as your heart near fainted.

His brows drew together, face morphing into confusion. "We?"

"Yes, love. We." a giggle erupted out of your mouth.

He huffed, "You're doing your riddles again. I'll think about it inside, once I'm out of this armor. Yeah?"

Oh, how Ralof could be so naive. 

With a wide smile and a peck to his cheek, you both walked hand in hand to your home, and when you entered and took off your shoes and coat, he was already changing in your bedroom.

As you waited for him to come out, you added a block of wood to the oven fire, the once dull flame eating up the wood eagerly. You grabbed a coffee pot from the counter and filled it with water, placing it on the stove.

He exited just then, dressed in a tunic and trousers. With an approving nod, he came to stand behind you and gently massaged your shoulders, something he did often in the mornings while you made food.

Gods knew how awful his cooking was. You didn't mind making things, and he never complained about your dishes, so it worked out well. 

"Hmm, I suppose the answer is staring at me, isn't it?" he suspected softly, playfully. You approved.

"Wait-" he started, and you glanced at him, trying to hide a smile.

"Yes?"

"Your... really? I'm not being dumb, right? You're not kidding?" he rushed, eyes wide.

"No, love. I'm not playing coy." you taunted with a giggle.

"I'm going to be a father?" he questioned hesitantly, and you turned around to face him.

"Only if I get to be a mother." 

You tried to stop the smile that gave it all away, you really did.

Ralof looked like he was going to pass out from how excited he was, or burst out crying. "Oh my gods, I can't believe it!" 

He peppered kisses all over your face in glee and your cheeks quickly became red. "Ralof!" you exclaimed, embarrassed.

"I simply adore you, ____." he teased playfully just to fluster you and you screeched in response, near the color of a tomato.

"Stop it!" you huffed, trying to frown to counter-act your wide grins.

"Never will I stop." he vowed with a light smack from you as you both burst out in rowdy laughter, so glad to be together again.

And well, not afraid to change the study into your future child's bedroom.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I cant. This was so cute to write. 

Like, I've melted.

Y'all want a daddy Ralof?

Any ideas for the next chapters?

Thoroughly heart-warmed, ya author,

Dani.

Adieu!