VI• Afraid

Cecilia had settled herself on her bed, laying flat on her back. Her bare, aching feet lay on her pillow while her head was almost hanging off the edge of her bed. Her messy hair was spread out across the burgundy bedclothes.

'You can't just stay there complaining all day.' Kristen said once she heard yet another groan leave her friends mouth. She was seated in front of the dorm's vanity, removing her makeup slowly. 'So you shagged another guy, what's the big deal?'

Cecilia hid her face- still covered in last nights makeup- in her hands. 'Why did you let me do that?' She groaned once again.

Kristen dropped her makeup wipe and turned towards Cecilia's bed. 'I'm sorry. I was a bit distracted.' She spat, annoyed. 'And who even was the guy?'

Cecilia went silent, making Kristen raise a perfectly-plucked eyebrow. 'Dennis Browne.' Cecilia muttered.

'Dennis Browne? The dark-haired guy from Hufflepuff?' Kristen conformed. When Cecilia nodded, she continued. 'I hate to break it to you but, he looks quite similar to Regulus.'

Cecilia rolled onto her stomach, running her hands through the knots in her brown hair in exasperation. She felt complete and utterly defeated, her silence making it very clear to her friend what she was thinking.

'Is that why you're being so dramatic about it?' Kristen asked. 'Because he looked like Regulus?'

Cecilia slowly slid off her bed and walked over to Kristen. After a bit of rearranging, Cecilia was seated next to Kristen, her head leaning on her friends shoulder. 'I used Dennis to try and distract myself from Regulus.' Cecilia admitted. 'And when I wake up next to him, I think-for a split second that he's Regulus!' She exclaimed exhausted.

Kristen sighed. 'You're infatuated with him.' She stated simply. Once she noticed Cecilia's confused look in the mirror, she added, 'You have a intense but short-lived passion or admiration for him.'

'But it feels like more than that!' Cecilia huffed. 'It's not just a desire anymore! I want to do whatever couples actually do with him!'

'Then ask him out!'

'It's not that easy!' Cecilia cried. 'He's a Slytherin and I'm a Gryffindor! He'll reject me in a heartbeat!'

The two friends fell silent, both surprised at where the conversation had gone. Cecilia felt bad for raising her voice and Kristen was finding it hard to find a way of comforting her friend.

Kristen took a deep breath, bracing herself for Cecilia's reply when she would hear the same advice once again.

'I don't know what else to tell you, Lia,' Kristen breathed, conquered. 'You can't just sit here complaining about how he'd never want to date you. Either forget about him or ask him out.'

Kristen expected another outburst from her friend and was shocked when Cecilia nodded. 'You're right.' She whispered, her voice soft. 'I'm just afraid.'

Kristen pulled her friend into a hug. She had never seen Cecilia Gryffindor so vulnerable and, honestly, it scared her. 'I'll be here.' She whispered.

Cecilia stayed in her friend's embrace for a few moments before she stood up and changed out of last night's dress and into her pajamas, planning on spending her Sunday in bed.