36. Clicked

-Oliver- 

-Oliver- 

"You're supposed to be my mate."

"Your... what?" I asked.

"My mate," Jaden sighed.

I could only stare at him for a moment, before my brain started to work again. I knew what a mate was, of course, but... "We're both guys?"

"I know," he muttered. "The Moon Goddess points out our mates that way – and we clicked immediately."

"Even though we hadn't even talked? How can we click if we haven't even talked?" I asked in confusion. "And we are both guys."

"Yeah, well, it's possible I'm not entirely... straight..." he mumbled now so quietly that I had to step closer to him.

"Really?" I asked. "But does it mean that I...?" I pointed at myself, trailing off. "Well, you do look good in my opinion, so..."

"I do?" he asked, and peered up at me.

"Well, yeah..." I said and blushed. "But I'd like to let your Moon Goddess know I'd have appreciated it if she had asked for my opinion first."

"I know, right?" he said, and continued walking. "Like, I didn't even know your name! What on earth was I supposed to do?!"

"Yeah, now it all makes more sense," I nodded. "Ever since that day I've been... kind of like pulled towards you? And I knew when you were close by, even as a wolf. Now it's a hell of a lot stronger. I know exactly where you are when we're at school, and I can feel what you feel..."

He stopped again. I turned to look at him, and saw him biting his lower lip. "You uh... You can tell exactly where I am?" he asked carefully.

"Yes," I chuckled. "I knew you were hiding behind the corner today. I knew you were coming towards me long before that."

"Huh..." he breathed out. "Well, thank you for not making fun of me, I guess..."

"I would never do that," I told him with a smile.

"Yeah, I'm beginning to understand that," he spoke quietly, and for the first time ever, he gave me a small smile. "I was freaking out, yes. I really had no idea what to do when I found out what we are..."

"I understand that," I told him. "So I'm guessing you don't have human friends?"

"Nope – we're not supposed to socialize with humans," he explained.

"Why not?"

"It's my father's rule... He used to be a human, but he was turned, and he had to leave his family and friends behind..." he spoke quietly. "We are not allowed to bring humans in our territory since there are some who can't control their urges to kill or turn humans, especially during the full moon. It's not their fault, they just can't resist their natural instincts."