Chapter 24

Chapter 24:

The fire crackled and warmed her skin. This cave stayed pretty cozy at most times, but Layla couldn’t deny that it still got chilly, too. Thankfully, though, the cavern walls blocked out the cool winter breeze and snow. It was the water that was still so cold, which is why Layla dreaded washing up in it. She never realized how much she would miss indoor plumbing or heated water. Just another one of those things you don’t miss until it’s gone. Just like Logan… Logan was someone that she missed a lot. He was almost always on her mind, especially after hearing that he had been the one to pull her away from Leon and attempt to save her.

“Layla,” a male voice shouted, and Layla looked up to see Shawn running towards her.

Standing up to greet him, she gasped as Shawn wrapped his arms around her and lifted her into the air, spinning in circles. There were actual tears glistening in the corners of his eyes, and a big grin spread across his face.

“I thought you were dead. You have no idea how much I was hurting every day thinking that it was my fault you died. I was the one who pushed you to speed up the attack, and I couldn’t protect you. You got hurt because of my foolishness. I’m so sorry Layla. I’m really, really sorry.  Can you ever forgive me?” Shawn pleaded as he lowered her feet back down to the ground, but still kept his arms around her waist.

“Stop blaming yourself. It’s not your fault. I can take care of myself. I just…got a little cocky, I guess. I got upset when I saw my mom, and then wasn’t as rational when I fought with Leon. It wouldn’t have mattered on the timing of the attack. If anything, I was too late. She is having his child and doesn’t want to leave,” Layla’s voice was almost a whisper when she choked those words out. She hadn’t really said anything to Gabriella or the others, but Shawn was from her pack. He deserved to hear the truth.

“It’s okay. Everything will be okay,” Shawn swiped a stray hair behind her ear and leaned his face down to hers.

Layla began leaning in closer to him. The warmth of his body felt nice against hers, but yet it didn’t feel as warm as it should. Realization dawned on her, and her face scrunched up, “Wait, how did you know where to find me? How did you know I was alive? Neil went to look for—“

“He found me. I was in the jail cell with Logan, and I insisted on coming with.”

Shawn tried pulling Layla closer to him, but she took a step back and slid out of his arms, “You were with Logan? Is he here?”

Turning around, Layla looked to the other end of the room and saw Logan standing next to Neil and Zachary. His face looked sad, and he looked away as soon as their eyes met. Shawn reached out for Layla’s hand, but she pulled her hand away and started walking over to Logan.

Her pace increased as she got closer, and Logan finally looked back up at her. He tilted his head to the side, confused that she was coming over to him. The way that Shawn and her had been embraced just a moment before had made his heart twinge and his stomach drop. He had never seen them together before, and now that he had, he just felt foolish for allowing himself to fall for her.

Layla reached him, and immediately grabbed him, burying her head into his chest, “You’re okay. I was scared that they had done something to you,” her voice was muffled, but he still heard her.

Instinctively, he rested his hand on her back, gently rubbing up and down, “You were scared? I thought you were dead. I saw your body not moving, not breathing, and then I saw them boil you. You really don’t know what being scared means.”

Layla heard his voice crack and looked up with her own teary eyes to see one running down his cheek, but the rest of his face was set in stone. Lifting her hand up, she rested it on his cheek and tilted his head so that he was looking her straight in the eyes.

“I have never been so grateful to anyone than I am to you. You saved me, Logan. Even though I’m not from your pack, you cared enough about me to rescue me,” lifting herself onto her tip-toes, she whispered in his ear, “You are my hero, Logan. I have thought about you every minute of every day since then.”

“I have never stopped thinking about you since the day I first saw you. How did you know where to find me?” A small smile crept across Logan’s lips.

Layla smirked, and glanced over her shoulder, “I didn’t. Natalie did.”

***

“What do you mean they’re gone?” Rocco’s voice boomed as he stomped down the staircase.

“I—I don’t know how they did it, sir, but they’re not in their cell. Neither one of them. We can’t find them anywhere.”

Storming over to where their cell had been, Rocco began throwing and slamming things around. There’s no way they could have just vanished. He knew his son would never run away, but nobody else knew about the dungeon except for his trusted members.

Whirling around on his heel, Rocco glared at the man standing nervously behind him, “One of you betrayed me, and believe me when I say that I will find out who it was and rip their throat out. Do you understand me?”

“Yes—Yes, sir.”

“Good, then call for a meeting. Everyone must attend. This gets resolved tonight,” Rocco began walking to leave, but not before pounding his fist against the wall next to where the other man stood.

A/N: There was a little moment for Layla with both Shawn and Logan. Hard to decide yet. But anyways…do any of you remember who Natalie is? :)