Chapter Four.

Waking up always depressed me and today especially because it meant I had to go to work and I so did not want to but nevertheless I did, and around four in the evening when I was preparing to leave my cell phone rang. And as usual it was an unknown number,

"Hello?" I said.

"Is this Miss Samantha Daniels."

"Yeah who's asking?"

"Oh I'm speaking from the city hospital we here have Miss Melina Wishaw. She has asked ....... " my heart stopped I just couldn't believe what the nurse was telling me Melina was in the hospital and she had asked for me I was really dazed and worried. I cut in the nurse's speech,

"What happened to her? Is she all right? Is anything serious? "

"Miss, you have to come down here, she fell down the stairs today and broke her leg I'm afraid and she also has some minor injuries."

"I'm going to be there in ten minutes, tell her I'm coming."

I shut down my phone and rushed to the hospital. I was always shit timorous from hospitals and preferred to be away from them but today I rushed into the hospital, inquired about Melina's room and practically ran to her room. When I opened her door and she saw me she smiled this hearty smile of hers and though she had been weeping I was so relieved to see her there smiling at me.

The nurse once again told me what happened to her and then left the two of us, I sighed and realised I had been holding my breath.

"You stupid stupid woman, were you trying to kill yourself? Can't you be careful? " I was all over her but I was really afraid by just thinking of what might have happened to her.

"Oh sorry I was coming to see you when I slipped." she was in pain.

"Don't talk. Just rest. " I went to her and I saw that the tears were back in her eyes,

"Hey I'm here now; I'll take good care of you." I murmured and she managed a weak smile before hardening the hold on my hand and drifting off to sleep. I was just so sick at my heart seeing Melina like this and I had no clue what to do that's when I remembered Nick and I thought I should call him, he had to know about what happened with Melina. I dished out my phone and dialled his number but only reached his voicemail.

"Uh hi Nick, Samantha this side, I just wanted to tell you that Melina fell down the stairs and I'm really scared can you please come over in the city hospital. We are in room 107. Bye." the line went dead. I was sitting beside Mel waiting for Nick to call, but I never received one. That's when the doctor came in.

"Are you Miss Samantha?"

"Yes, you must be the doctor."

"I'm afraid, can I talk to you?"

"Of course."

We went to his office.

"Miss Melina told me that she lives alone and also that you are her neighbour. Is that right? "

"Yeah I live next door." I replied. I knew the news coming was not going to be good and my heart was racing real fast, good thing I was all ready in a hospital.

"Okay so I would advice that you move in with her and take care. The cast will be removed in around a month. Also does she have any other relative? "

"She has a grandson, but otherwise there's just me."

"Oh, did you inform him about Melina?" he seemed anxious to tell someone something about Melina and somehow he couldn't trust me.

"Yes I did, and every time I called I reached his voicemail and so I stopped trying since the last three hours and the point here is doc that I know you are hiding something and right now only I'm available so you can only tell me. So it's best if you cooperate and tell me whets wrong." I was running out of patience and if the guy did not tell me now then he had to be ready to get kicked hard in his guts.