12

Many days turned into weeks and with these oncoming weeks came the first snow of winter. White thick flakes fell downwards from greying clouds. The onset of winter seemed to cause the small woodland which Beorn had grown to call home, to envelope in a sudden silence. The silence of course came from the lack of animals still pottering about in the foliage. These had long since gone into hibernation, or in some cases, found refuge in the house.

It was only a few days past since he returned back inside, after doing more of the roof, and saw a small cluster of foxes seeking warmth from Ylva's sleeping form. She was wrapped up tightly in whatever covers they owned, or whichever ones she had managed to sew and create before this incident happened. The snow, though beautiful in its own secret way, was also problematic. It halted Beorn from doing anything. It wasn't that he disliked not having something to do. But he had been busying away finishing building work only to suddenly stop completely as the first flakes sailed down and settled on the woodland ground.

Being seated in a chair, Beorn took to carving things out of the left over wood from the roof. The chair itself was a new addition along with a few cups, bowls and a bed frame. At last no more sleeping on the floor, though they did not own a mattress of any sort. That'd have to wait until Ylva was up and moving about because most offcuts of material which could be used to make this, were actually wrapped around her and cushioning her against the hard floor.

"No more sky." Were the three quietly spoken words which bought Beorn out of his thoughts, and out of his work. He turned sharply in the chair and looked to where Ylva was laying. She blinked several times, this was the first time she had been properly awake in so many days. She had woken briefly when it first snowed a few days prior, but Beorn wouldn't exactly call the state she was in awake. More laying with her eyes half open, oblivious to all.

She slowly looked around and let out a quiet laugh, her eyes landed on one of the thick wooden columns which kept the roof up. There were carvings in it, though from where she was laying she couldn't make it out. But it was a charming quaint sight which caused her to suddenly feel very cheerful; even if she still numbly ached.

Grabbing a hold of cup, he filled it with water and walked quickly over to her. With help, she managed to sit slightly and drink slowly. It felt good to drink something which didn't taste of the earth below. She let out a low groan as she laid back down, she would be lying if she said she didn't ache still, each movement caused her to either feel a slight pinch of pain, or a numbing sensation. "How do you feel?" Beorn asked while placing the cup to one side and reaching out to push some of her ruffled hair out of her face.

"Well," she started and shut her eyes, she laid motionless for a few moments before her eyes opened again, and she looked around until her eyes landed on the window. "I'm fine, I guess, considering."

"You are not in pain?" His tone was one of indifference, yet he obviously knew she was lying in some respect.

With a smile, she looked to him, "I never said that!" She laughed gently only to wince slightly. "I hurt, yes, but it's manageable. So, please stop looking like that, I will be fine." She said when all she received was a serious look to be sent down at her.

"Rest," Beorn said while going to stand.

"Seriously?!" Ylva whined, Beorn looked at her and rolled his eyes. She sounded like a sulking child whining for some reason. Light hearted, that's all Beorn ever seemed to pick up from her. Yet childish? Rarely something seen or even something he imagined. "I have rested for how long? Even from here I can sense the change in weather, and in season. Winter has finally arrived, yes? Is it snowing? Can I see?" Ylva asked while her eyes widened with the thought of snow.

"However long you've rested for doesn't matter, you needed it." Beorn started to say and reached down to stop her from sitting up. She looked at him with a frown, clearly not liking being halted. "Yes, there is snow."