Chapter 11

Sarah woke the next morning feeling refreshed. Whenever she'd started worrying about public speaking, she shut down the negative thoughts with an image of Mike. Best distractor ever.

She arrived at Comcor ten minutes early. As she went through the front door of the building, she resisted the urge to wipe damp palms on her skirt.

She'd decided to wear a copper-coloured fitted skirt that skimmed her knees, and a matching tailored jacket. A Murano glass necklace in hues of copper and turquoise and a pair of teardrop earrings completed the outfit. Professional, but not forgettable, she decided. Not quite the low-cut top Danni had suggested – she hoped she didn't regret that.

She greeted the receptionist and was sent up to the twelfth floor. As the elevators opened, a young woman, dressed immaculately in a navy pantsuit, her hair in a slick chignon, greeted her.

"Dr. Jain? Hello and welcome. I'm Debra Peters, Mr. Stanton's administrative assistant. Come with me, please."

She followed the tap of Debra's high heels down a corridor lined with formal oil paintings on the walls, until they arrived at a set of intimidating wooden double doors.

As Debra opened them, she explained, "We're just waiting for Sandra Welturn to arrive. She's the representative for the senior's centre. You'll have a chance to present your proposal to the board, and then Mrs. Welturn will do the same. Can I load your presentation on our system for you?"

"Thanks," Sarah said, and she handed Debra the file.

"Would you like coffee or tea?"

"No thanks, I'm fine." She had enough adrenalin zinging through her. No need for more stimulants.

"Let me introduce you to Mr. Stanton."

Sarah looked around the room at the half a dozen men, formally dressed in black business suits and ties, quietly talking in groups. A lot of grey hair, she thought with a heavy heart.

Mr. Stanton came forward with a welcoming smile, his hand extended in greeting. As the President and CEO of Comcor, he looked young and spry.

"Thank you very much for inviting me to speak," Sarah said after the introductions.

"Our absolute pleasure, Dr. Jain," he said in a booming voice. "We're always looking for ways to support the community. We're so pleased you could take time from your busy schedule to come and tell us more about the clinic for street youth."

Mrs. Welturn arrived, and after the introductions were repeated, they sat down. Mr. Stanton briefly summarized the two proposals for the board of directors and, after introducing Sarah, invited her to the front of the room.

Sarah took two deep breaths to calm herself. She began to speak and her mouth went dry, but as she described the clinic, the breadth of work they did and the patients they supported, the words flowed.

The presentation ended with the short video created by Hank and the teens. Their message was simple, heartfelt, and real. It captured the essence of the clinic better than all the statistics. And it caught the attention of the board members. They sat straighter while it played and nodded and clapped when it finished.

Sarah took a seat, relieved that she was done and cautiously optimistic. She sipped a glass of water as she listened to Sandra Welturn's presentation. A senior's community centre would give the growing population of seniors living independently in the community a place to socialize. Much needed, Sarah thought with chagrin, considering all the seniors in her practice. Drat. It was a great idea.