06

As much as Jeongguk hated himself for doing this, he ended up scrolling his call log to look for Jaehwa's number. He could tell hundred reasons as to why he didn't want to hire her but Hoseok would give him thousand reasons as to why he must hire the girl again. Just the mere thought of her voice insulting him was enough to make Jeongguk's blood boil. Nevertheless, he touched the green button with his thumb, a sigh was released as he pressed his phone against his ear.

The ring ended after a few seconds, causing Jeongguk to swallow his saliva before opening his mouth.

"Jaehwa?" Jeongguk started, was about to continue before his words were cut off by the person from the other end of the line.

"Ah I'm sorry. Jaehwa went out and she left her phone at home." The person explained, and Jeongguk didn't know whether to feel relieved that he didn't have to hear her voice at the moment. "May I know who I am talking to? If you have any important message, I'll let her know later." Jeongguk didn't realise that he had been biting down on his lower lip until the anonymous snapped him out of his thoughts. "Hello?"

"S- sorry?" Jeongguk asked again, rubbing his nape.

"May I know who I am talking to?"

Jeongguk looked down at the floor, almost rolling his eyes to know that Jaehwa did not even save his phone number. He had never got this close with a girl—the closest he would be was during group projects so he had no choice. Not that he wasn't interested but he was just... not the kind of guy who preferred hanging around with girls. Bros before hoes—that was Jeongguk's life motto. Having girls clinging onto him suffocate him for a reason Jeongguk couldn't tell, but this, Jaehwa wasn't the kind of girl who made him hard to breathe. She was the kind who made him breathe too hard—her manner, her insults, her judging stares were enough to make his blood boil in just a blink of an eye.

"Jeongguk." He replied lazily, throwing himself onto his bed afterwards.

"I see, Mr Jeong- oh my God!" The girl suddenly squealed, causing Jeongguk to knit his eyebrows in confusion. "I'll make sure to tell her that you called! Thanks for calling!"

Still unable to comprehend what's currently happening, Jeongguk nodded his head hesitantly. "Y- yeah. I don't know what you are thanking me but... thank you. Please ask Jaehwa to call me back as soon as possible."

"Sure!"

"And one more thing." Jeongguk poked the inner of his cheek with his tongue. "Please tell her to save my phone number."

_______

"Jae Jae Jae!"

Jaehwa did not expect to come home to see her housemate running straight towards her, couldn't believe that she could put her novel down just to greet her home. It never happened, and to see the girl being this excited, Jaehwa believed something had happened.

Rolling her eyes, Jaehwa closed the door behind her before she threw her handbag onto the couch. Yerin trailed her from behind like a lost puppy, only stopped when Jaehwa finally turned around.

"What's wrong with you?" Jaehwa proceeded to walk towards the refrigerator, ignoring Yerin completely.

"Listen up, Jaehwa. You won't believe this!" Yerin hollered before taking a seat across Jaehwa, her hands were clasped together as if she had an important announcement.

Jaehwa didn't spare her a glance because she could foresee Yerin talking about a random guy she saw at the campus. Or maybe she would let out inhuman noises upon a scene in the novel she read. Living with Yerin was all about chaos, all about fangirling over nonexistent characters but that was who Hwang Yerin was. Never knew what calm down is, never bothered that Jaehwa was totally uninterested in her fangirling session.

Despite her loudness and her chaotic personality, Jaehwa was glad that Yerin was someone she could trust with all her heart, and someone she could refer to when literature was fucking her mind up. Maybe that's the good side of staying up reading novels—Yerin was very good at finding hidden meanings behind a phrase, very good at summing up a book when they had to write a review. The way she described a scene was ethereal—short but precise. If it weren't for Yerin's existence, Jaehwa didn't think he could survive another year of literature.

"Spill it, Yerin."

"Jeongguk called!" Jaehwa almost choked on her drink upon hearing the name. No wonder Yerin was that excited to tell her the news, considering how excited she was to know more about the guy. "He freaking called you, Jae!"

"So?" Jaehwa deadpanned, however she couldn't deny that her brain couldn't stop thinking as to why Jeongguk called her. Maybe he wanted to pick up another round of fight? Maybe he wanted to act cocky by saying she's interested in him again? Jaehwa silently shook those thoughts off her mind, mentally preparing herself to hear what Yerin would say next.

"You told me he chased you out of his apartment when you called him a fuck boy. But look, he called! It's been two days since that happened, maybe he wants to apologise and you know... fix the things between you too?"

Jaehwa put down the glass in a rather harsh manner, the loud clink was enough to shut Yerin up. "Check if the sun rose from the west if he ever did that." Silence then filled the kitchen before she finally had the gut to ask. "What did he say?"

"Please ask Jaehwa to call me back as soon as possible. And one more thing, please tell her to save my phone number." Yerin grinned from ear to ear. "You know what, if he's a character in a novel, his voice would be described like this; his dulcet tone embraces the air like the evening perfume of night flowers."

Jaehwa took a sip of her drink, had to refill the glass because the mere thought of Jeongguk being that perfect was beyond her imagination. "He said please?" Yerin nodded furiously, which only made Jaehwa cackle in disbelief. "He never talked like that to me. And also, what perfume are you talking about? He's literally a poison!"

Yerin snickered before getting out of her seat. When she reached the doorframe of her bedroom, she suddenly came into a halt, turning around to face Jaehwa completely. "Be careful. They say you'll eventually fall in love with the one you hated the most."

_______

a/n:
thank you so much for 1K reads!
school starts tomorrow so i'll be quite busy after this :( i hope these update spams will make up for my 'hiatus' later.

anyway, *cracks knuckles*
let's get it started