189

We all stood silently for a moment, as the dragon was clearly unaware of our presence along side Magar. He perked his head up when he spotted her at the top of the craters edge, prompting her to chirp wildly and glide down into the crater, landing along side Doron as reached his head up to meet her mid landing. The four of us watched, along with Magar's child as the two behemoths embraced in each others company. 

"Should we go down?" Bailey asked.

"No. It's to risky. Stay low and don't let him see us until we're sure he won't try to kill us on sight." I replied.

Bailey seemed displeased with my response, scoffing at me before suddenly bolting for a thick set of vines that descended part way down into the crater, stopping only ten feet or so from the ground.

"What the hell are you doing?!" I exclaimed.

She gave me a quick glance before starting down the vine without a word. Doron still hadn't noticed us, or the baby dragon, but I knew as soon as he spotted Bailey, we'd be exposed.

"Come on. We've got to follow her. Once he see's her, it's all over." I said to Tahli and Amy. 

"Wasn't the point of this trip to find him?" Amy asked as she followed me to the vine.

"Yes, but i'd rather wait until I'm sure he won't attack us. I'll know when it's that time." I replied before starting down the vine.

By the time I let go of the vine and fell to the ground, Bailey was already approaching Doron from the rear, staying out of sight. Magar spotted us approaching, and the look in her eyes clearly indicated that we were to come no closer. I was about to shout out to Bailey to stop her, but decided to tackle her, quickly throwing my hand over her mouth to prevent her from screaming in order to keep Doron from hearing us behind him. I pulled her to the ground into the grass that had grown in the crater, looking up at Doron the entire time. His body seemed distant, while his tail rested just off to the side.

"Well, he's certainly eaten well." Tahli said quietly as we stayed low to the ground.

"I'd imagine he would have. He's the largest creature alive. He has no opposition." I replied.

We all sat there silently for a moment, before Doron started looking around him, clearly searching for something. After frantically looking around for several seconds, he looked back down at Magar with a sad look in his eyes as she bowed her head down, sharing his sadness as she moaned in anguish, before looking to her last living offspring and giving a quick chirp. Hesitantly, the young dragon dropped down the wall of the crater and flew across, landing at her mothers side. She seemed fearful of Doron at first, trying to Keep Magar between her and Doron. But, after a moment, she cautiously approached the enormous creature, chirping distantly as she crept towards him. He lowered his head to her and stuck out his tongue, licking her. 

"His tongue is way bigger than her entire body." Amy said with a slight chuckle in her voice.

We all watched as the three dragons caught up with one another, before suddenly, Magar dropped her head, clearly upset about something. Doron nudged her, but she snapped at him and hissed ferociously as she looked down at her baby.

"What's her problem?" Tahli asked.

Bailey sighed.

"She misses her other children. They're all dead." She replied.

Tahli grew a confused look on her face.

"How can you be so certain that all of her other offspring are dead? We know that there's around thirty or so dragons still alive, why couldn't any of them be their children?" She asked in reply.

"They may have other off spring still alive in the world, but they have all since gone their own way, and most of them have already died." I said cutting in.

Bailey grew a sad look on her face, before she suddenly stood up and started waving her arms over her head.

"Doron! Doron!" She shouted.

"What the hell are you doing?!" I shouted as I pulled her back down.

I struggled to pull her down, before I caught a glimpse of Doron's glowing eyes facing directly towards us. 

"Nobody move." I said quietly.

"H-His eyes are blue... Were they always blue?" Bailey asked.

I thought for a moment.

"No, but it was always theorised that dragons could feel deep emotion. I guess the historical writings stating that you could see emotion in their eyes may have been more literal than anyone thought." I replied.

He slowly started turning his body towards us, thrusting Magar aside as he roared and hissed as he approached. The four of us scrambled backwards as the dragon shot a stream of fire right down in front of us, before falling silent for a moment.

"Do not run... If he really wanted to kill us, he wouldn't have missed." I said.

I rolled over onto my back to face the wall of smoke as it rose into the air, frozen in fear. Then, through the smoke, a set of massive, blue glowing eyes slowly emerged through the smoke, turning orange with the light of the flames.  He looked down at me and locked his eyes with mine. I could feel my heart beating faster than I ever had as his massive teeth showed, accompanied by his deep, bellowing snarls that shook me from the inside. He then turned as Magar emerged through the smoke, snapping and snarling at him.

"Get behind her!" I shouted as I jumped to my feet.

We ran to the tip of her tail, diving behind knowing that he wouldn't risk harming Magar to get to us. I peaked up over her tail and made eye contact with him once again. I could see the conflict in his eyes as he looked at me. I could tell that he wanted to reunite, but he feared that doing so would result in the last of his kind dying off, just as they had more than a century ago. He looked back at Magar, then down at the baby, before turning and spreading his massive wings, and taking to the air. The flapping of his gigantic wings knocked us to the ground as he slowly got further and further away, until finally, he was no longer visible. 

I stood up, looking in the direction Doron had flown off in. I felt a hand rest down on my shoulder as a tear dripped down my cheek.

"Come on. We've got to go. We have one dragon, and she's a mighty beast who is proud and willing to fight for us. That's better than nothing." Bailey said.

I felt anger welling up inside me, before I turned around and started yelling unexpectedly.

"You think that one dragon is any match for them? Do not realise that nearly all of the dragons have died because of them one way or another? What in the world makes you think that one dragon will even get past their first line?!" I snapped with tears streaming down my face.

Bailey just looked at me with a blank stare, before she put her hand on my shoulder once again.

"We have to try, she's our only chance now." She said.