Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Jenn woke up slowly the next morning. She had suffered from a nightmare, but it was one of those nightmares that when you woke up in the morning you could not remember. Someone knocked on the door. Jenn sat up in her bed and called out for the person behind the door to enter. It was an old lady with a dress.

“Time to get dressed…the guests will arrive soon” the lady explained, giving Jenn the dress. Jenn sighed, annoyed and looked at the dress. It was the colour of youthful green, just like the freshly cut grass outside the castle. While Jenn did not particularly like the colour green, she did not protest but rather gave a fake smile to the lady as the complimented the beauty of the dress.

After the lady helped Jenn with the dress, the lady did her hair up into a neat looking bun and added some golden hairclips to get her fringe out of the way. According to her, seeing Jenn’s “beautiful forehead” would make any man fall in love with her. Apparently, this was an olden custom that showed divine beauty and intelligence. Not that Jenn cared about that. She was excited but at the same time she was nervous. She was never good around men and with her longest relationship lasting for only two weeks did not exactly give her that much confidence. And this was not some random guy  that she would have encountered at school . This was Arthur Pendragon the Arthur Pendragon more like.

“ Wait here my lady, your father will send someone in to invite you to meet Arthurius” the woman explained as she was finishing her hair.

“He…is already Here?” Jenn gulped out nervously. What was the time anyway? Oh how I hate not having a watch…

The lady finished with her hair and went out the room to inform that Guinevere was ready to be presented to Arthur. Jenn waited anxiously in the meantime.

--

Another knock on the door made Jenn leap out of her chair and launch herself, while tripping over the long garments toward the door. She landed on her knees and fuming opened stretched to open the door. To her relief it was just Brennus. Well I embarrassed myself in front of him before hand…

He sighed and lifted her up.

“Lady you should really learn to be more careful…especially with such guests…” He never looked her in the eyes. In fact ever since the mention of the fact that she was going to meet Arthur of Camelot he was pretty silent around her. She could feel that something was wrong, but she did not question him. She was more preoccupied with being nervous from meeting Arthur than getting concerned about problems that Brennus might have. But he is your friend.

“Is everything alright Brennus?” She asked trying to hide concern in her face.

Again he not looking in her eyes replied monotonously “Nothing. I have been asked to bring you down; your father does not want Lord Arthurius to wait now” He gestured at the door. Jenn nodded and went down first down to the room where her father and Arthur now were.

--

“Let me enter first. I will present you, after that when I announce you, follow me” Brennus ordered once they were outside the room. Jenn nodded. The butterflies were back, in fact she felt like she was going to faint. Finally I get to see him !

The butterflies quickly turned to cold shivers. Finally the doors opened. She entered quickly and bowed first before the king of Lyonesse and then in front of Arthur Pendragon. Then she got up smiling hesitantly. He took her hand to kiss it and quickly turned to her father.

Arthur Pendragon looked like a man about 27 years of age. He was tall and thin but with a muscular build. He maintained his status correctly as a king but as Jenn thought, he still looked a bit awkward. Like he was described in stories, his hair was blonde but in a bit of a mess and unevenly cut but really thick. His face looked experienced but he still had a bit of a boyish smile as Jenn could see when he smiled at her weekly. Pale grey eyes were perhaps the feature that Jenn noticed most. They radiated strength and power yet there was something insecure in his look. He tried to hide it but it was probably just Jenn’s intuition that told her that.