Chapter 35 Loy Krathong Part 2

After the school day ended, Prae, Tom, Maria, and Emma hopped in a cab to Lumphini Park, the spot Prae had recommended for releasing their krathongs. Traffic inched along the wide downtown streets.

Tom leaned toward Maria. "Why did you change your mind about Samet?"

"In Edmonton, I kept picturing relaxing on a beach during this trip. After being here for over a month, the only sand I've seen was my students' art projects. I want to save money, but I talked to Sunshine, and she said the more opportunities I close myself off from, the less I will grow and change."

"You don't need to change," Tom said.

"Do you think I've been taking advantage of my life abroad? I've been miserable." Unfamiliar buildings, signs and shops flew by.

"You've been understandably upset, but you're cooking different foods, exploring the city and experiencing new festivals, and you have us."

"I'm also hiding in my apartment, on my phone, or daydreaming about the past."

"It doesn't mean they should pressure you to drink."

This was like arguing with Adrian, so she smiled, agreed, and stared at the international fast-food chains and businesses outside. She wasn't going just to drink, but he shouldn't judge her if she did. The last time she went out, despite having ended her 'relationship' with Adrian, she had a successful night, only relying on Shannon and Peter for directions, not stability.

"I'm not a helpless girl who can't decide for herself."

"Sorry, I didn't mean to be controlling. It's easy to get sucked into the party mindset and do things you regret when you travel with this group," Tom said.

Emma frowned. "You're making us sound like monsters."

"That's not what I meant. If you're not used to living that way, it's harder to accept being so out of control, at least in my experience."

Maria uncrossed her legs and smoothed out her long skirt. It wasn't fair to treat Tom like Adrian when Tom was only warning her off experiences he'd suffered himself.

"I'm sorry, Tom." She took a deep breath and looked into his hazel eyes. "I ended things with my ex this weekend for good. He judged my behaviour and choices a lot, and I'm still carrying it around."

Tom's expression softened. "Why didn't you say something?"

Maria shrugged. Mitch had reassured and refocused her, and she enjoyed turning to him even though he should be the last person to give relationship advice. "I didn't want to waste any more energy on it."

"Good choice. You deserve so much better."

Prae turned toward them from the passenger seat. "Send away your negative thoughts on the krathong. Maybe they will reach Canada and your friend."

Maria laughed. Prae wasn't typically so direct, but her tone implied she didn't care for Adrian either.

"As long as they're no longer with me," Maria said.

After the cab dropped them in front of a statue of a man with a tall hat and a sword, Prae led their group past the gates into the green space. As they ventured deeper into the park along the main road towards meandering ponds, trees blocked out some traffic noise and buildings.

Tom glanced at her, hands in his pockets. "How did your ex take the news?"

"He was a jerk. We broke up because he cheated with my best friend, and they're still dating. Last week, they moved in together after he told me he'd leave her. When I confronted him, he blamed me for moving abroad." Maria's eyes stung with the onset of tears.