9.

Friday rolled around, and Elise over to David's house. She was used to going to parties where she didn't know anybody, but she was still grateful that Chelsey and JC were going. She pulled up and texted Chelsey, who said she would be there in about an hour. She debated waiting for her to arrive, but decided against it, going up to David's front door and walking in instead.

She smiled politely at some people she didn't recognize by the door before seeing a familiar face.

"You did show up" David, who was leaning against the counter talking to a few friends, smiled.

"I stick to my word" She smiled, as David reached out to hug her.

He put his hand on Elise's back and guided her over towards his friends.

"This is Elise" He said, introducing her to the group.

Elise put up a hand to wave to the group, who laughed.

"I'm Natalie" A pretty brunette with glasses said.

"Zane" A guy with a beard laughed.

"Scott"

"Kristen"

"Mariah"

"So Elise's best friend is JC's girlfriend Chelsey" David explained.

"I LOVE CHELSEY" Zane gushed.

"You love everyone" Mariah laughed at Zane.

Elise hopped easily into the conversation, mainly taking things in but also talking when appropriate. David could tell his friends thought she was cool from the way they latched onto her words the few times she did speak.

Chelsey showed up, and Elise and Zane ended up talking to her. David leaned against his counter, talking to Scott and occasionally looking past him to make sure Elise was having fun.

"I haven't seen you be interested in someone in a while" Scott laughed.

Scott had been taking in and surveying the situation since he first saw Elise. Knowing David well for years, he immediately realized why he was into her. She was very pretty, down to earth, smart, and funny. She had the girl next door effect that David seemed to gravitate towards.

"I just want to make sure she's having fun" David retorted.

"She's cool"

"Right?"

David joined Elise for the remainder of the night. His friends asked about her throughout the rest of the party, and made efforts to get to know her, which made David happy. He didn't bring girls around much. The party eventually died down, and Chelsey and JC were getting ready to go.

"You coming, Elise?" JC asked, tossing his keys up and missing the catch, making Chelsey roll her eyes.

"Yeah, let me just get my bag" She said.

"I can drive you home" David said quickly.

JC grinned at Elise.

"Have fun, Elise!" Chelsey laughed, starting to walk towards David's door.

Elise rolled her eyes at Chelsey, who waved in return.

"Do you want to go now?" David asked.

"Totally up to you. Whatever's convenient"

"I'll probably be up until 5am anyway, so anytime works for me. If you want, we can hang out for a little"

Elise smiled.

"Yeah, let's do that"

David and Elise sat on his couch, both cracking up laughing at stories they told each other. In a lull in the laughter, Elise looked at the time on her phone and then back to David.

"I want to tell you something, just to be transparent, is that ok?" Elise asked.

David nodded. "Of course"

"I don't know if I'll still be in LA next year" She said.

"Ok..."

"I'm applying to med school and the way it works is that you just apply to a bunch of schools and get accepted to one or two. The LA ones have really low acceptance rates so there's a good chance i'm going to end up somewhere else. I just wanted to let you know in case... we kept hanging out"

David nodded.

"Thanks for letting me know" He said earnestly.

Elise picked at the hem of her denim jacket.

"Even knowing that, I'd still like to keep hanging out" David continued.

Elise looked up.

"Really?"

"Absolutely"

She smiled. "I wasn't expecting that"

"Why not?"

"I don't know, people are always looking for things that work out really easily and well"

"If I know anything it's that nothing works out easily and well"

"If that ain't the truth..."

David and Elise both laughed.

"Thank you for coming tonight, it really meant a lot" David said, grinning.

Elise smiled back.

"It was fun, your friends are really nice and cool"

"They said the same about you"

Elise's cheeks flushed.

"Really?" She asked.

"Yeah, of course"

Elise smiled and checked her phone, waiting for her face to go back to its normal color.

"So, when can I see you next?" David asked.

"When are you free?"

"Always, I don't have a schedule"

"Well, I'm leaving for New York tomorrow and then i'll be coming back Tuesday morning, then i'm heading to Boston on Thursday night and coming back Saturday morning so any time between those dates i'm free"

"Those are some short trips"

"I have a few interviews"

"For jobs?"

"Med school"

"You have to interview?"

"Yes" Elise laughed. "It's a process"

"Well, i'm sure you're gonna kill it. Are you... hoping to go to New York or Boston?"

"I really want to stay in LA, honestly"

David smiled a little.

"That would be cool"

"I think so too"