2 - Annie Borjesson

141 2 0

"I find the case of Annie Borjesson really weird. She was a Swedish student studying in Edinburgh. She then went to Prestwick airport (literally the other side of the country, then down a bit), caught on CCTV at the airport for ten seconds, then left. She tried to take out money multiple times from different ATMs, but didn't have the funds so was denied. She was seen wandering about Prestwick and then was found dead on the beach. Her long hair had been cut off, and the post-mortem (as far as I have read) concluded death by drowning.

She may have been victim to foul play, or it was suicide. I also found that her parents' e-mails were allegedly hacked later on. It may be a case of self-inflicted violence/mental health issues, but I find Annie's case just so bizarre and sad."

Thinking suicide...

The story of the last weeks of Annie Borjesson's life is disturbing in its emotional complexity and a profound sense of incompleteness. On 27 November, Annie phoned Maria and they spoke for almost an hour. Maria assumed that Annie was calling from Linton Court Apartments. But there was no record of it on their call list.

At lunchtime on 1 December, Maria called Annie on her mobile but got no reply. Annie had said that she was going to the pool and to a work fair and later to the Murrayfield Warriors rugby club, where she often socialized. So Maria was not particularly concerned. But within the Borjesson family, there were growing worries about Annie's demeanor during recent phone calls.

There seemed to be two Annies. The first was behaving normally. She was paying her December rent upfront, buying a leisure card for a local pool, and attending a rugby match at Murrayfield. But the other Annie was troubled. The same member of staff who assured the police that she had seen Annie in Linton Court Apartments at 1.15 on Saturday 3 December, when she must already have been on her way to Glasgow, also informed the police that Annie had been depressed about a relationship with a man but hadn't wanted to talk about it.

Annie apparently told someone else at Linton Court that she 'had to take care of something' and had made a decision that might change her life'. Around 5.30pm on Friday 2 December, the day before she left Edinburgh for the last time, she turned up unexpectedly at the Scotch Whisky Heritage Centre in the royal mile, where she had worked earlier in the year on a scholarship. The first person she saw there was her friend and former colleague Kat Dalmo. At first, Kat thought Annie was her 'usual happy and talkative' self.

But at 6.15pm, Annie took a call from her mother in Sweden, and her mood changed dramatically. This is Guje Borjesson's account of how the conversation went: 'Hello, Annie, this is mummy.' 'Hello, mummy.' 'How are you doing? Daddy and Charlie have been talking to you and they are worried.' 'I cannot talk right now. I am sitting here with Kat.' 'But Annie, tell me, what has happened? We are worried about you.' 'You have to respect this, but I have to take care of myself.' 'Okay. But call me tonight...or tomorrow.' 'Well. We'll see about that.' 'Okay, bye then.' Bye.' The Scottish police informed the family that this call was not registered as a received call on Annie's mobile. Nor was Maria's earlier call registered as a missed call. According to the police, there were no calls in or out of Annie's mobile in the last three days of her life.

There was a final conversation with a friend in Sweden (not Maria) between 6 pm and 8 pm that night. Annie told her that she was going to a party in Edinburgh and that it was due to start at 10 o'clock. Annie seemed positive about the party but was reluctant to say any more about it. Where was this party? Who was she with? What happened at it? No-one has ever come forward with answers to these questions. Meanwhile, her family wondered anxiously what Annie could have meant by the remark, 'I have to take care of myself'. Thirty-six hours later she was found dead in a small town 80 miles away.

True Crime StoriesRead this story for FREE!