Chapter 18

Joseph sat on a park bench staring at the ground between his feet. His shaking hand brought a cigarette to his mouth and he took a long drag. His other hands wiped away the single tear that was threatening his otherwise hard features.

     Joseph was sitting alone again and it was all because of his alter ego. That stupid Black Phoenix. If the Black Phoenix had not existed, things might have worked out better that night. If Joseph had been stronger, he wouldn’t have lost his mind in rage and he might not have been alone tonight.

     Rick was blinded with rage and there was nothing that could stop a man of his size.

     Joseph had to do something, but there was no reasoning with this man. He couldn’t manage to even say a word while avoiding Rick’s flying fists. The Black Phoenix hissed and lashed out with his claws, finding Rick’s arms.

     Rick cried out and threw Joseph against the wall. “Never touch my girl again!”

     “She doesn’t belong to you!” Joseph shouted back.

     Sora stood by the futon, nothing she could say would calm them down now. She stood in silence, her trembling hands clasped together. She feared the worse for both of them; they were equally matched in strength and rage.

     The Black Phoenix hissed and dragged his hand down Rick’s chest and gouging into his flesh.

     The pain only made Rick angrier.

     Joseph tried to reason with the man. “Please, just leave. Can’t you see that she doesn’t want you anymore?” He was getting desperate. It was getting harder and harder to hold off his bloodlust as the smell flooded his senses.

     “Yes she does! Sora deserves a real man, not a skinny little fag like you!” Rick shouted, spit flying from his mouth and landing on Joseph’s cheek.

     The Black Phoenix growled and reached out with his claws again. Rick managed to grab him and wrestle him to the ground. “Let’s see how tough you are now!” He pulled a switchblade from his back pocket.

     Joseph could smell the beer in Rick’s breath. The Black Phoenix survival instincts boiled over and he mustered all of his strength to slash Rick across the face and send the blade flying across the room. It fell against the wall with a clatter. He got back to his feet quickly.

     “Joseph! No, don’t kill him!” Sora could see the bloodlust in the vampire’s eyes.  His pupils reflected the light from the kitchen like an animal.

     Rick would not let himself be defeated. He threw a punch and it landed square on Joseph’s jaw.

      The bone splintered with a loud crack. Blood trickled from the corner of Joseph’s mouth as he stood in shock. The pain only lasted a few moments. There was another loud click as the bone began to fix itself.  The Black Phoenix gave Rick an evil crooked smile as the blood started drying and flaking away. He laughed and spat out a molar in a gob of blood. The blood on the floor dried to a stain leaving only the tooth on the carpet. 

     “Care to try that again?” The Black Phoenix hissed. He wiped the dried blood from his nose.

     Rick’s fists dropped along with his jaw. He stared in disbelief and gasped.  “What the hell?” He could only mutter.  His heart was pounding in fear.

     The Black Phoenix grinned, spitting out the last of the blood stained saliva and wiped his chin. “Don’t pick a fight with a vampire. You can’t win.” He laughed and brought his hand to Rick’s throat. His claws ripped into the man’s pounding jugular. He did his grisly deed, leaving the man spilling blood all over the floor. The room was silent.