Ch. 5: A Busy Sunday Morning with Clara

"Standring's Christmas Wish", Ch. 5: A Busy Sunday Morning with Clara, December 27, 2018 Gratiana Lovelace (Post #1200e)

(An original fan fiction holiday short story copyrighted by Gratiana Lovelace 2018; All rights reserved); [(1) story cover, left]

[As is my custom, I will illustrate my story with my ideal cast consisting of (and in order of appearance/mention in these chapters) of: as Ralph John Standring, Hayley Atwell as Clara Saunders, and others as noted.]

Authors story content and serializing scheduling note: My fan fiction short story here is based on the character of Ralph John Standring from the 2002 British mini-series "Sparkhouse"-with a new story arc. The tone of the chapters will be primarily PG to PG-13-for dramatic moments and/or romantic feelings. If you cannot or will not attend a movie with those ratings, then please do not read that chapter. This is my disclaimer.

And I will serialize this short story starting Christmas Day, December 25, 2018 with several initial chapter posts, and for a few days following after the Christmas Holiday this year. Please note that Chs. 2 - End will appear solely on my Wattpad site for ease of posting over the holidays. And I will write and serialize my story with daily chapters posts-a little challenge that I set for myself for fun-such as with my 2014 story, "A Magnificent Love", "A Christmas Carol Reimagined" in 2016, and others. And I hope that you enjoy Ralph Standring's holiday story this year.

"Standring's Christmas Wish", Ch. 5: A Busy Sunday with Clara (Post #1200e)

Given that heavy snowfall often breaks above ground electric transmission lines in in Winter, Chipping Village and the surrounding area, it might seem a wonder that being snowed in Sunday didn't cause their little local radio station in the Chipping Village Post Office to be off the air. But Gordon Clement, Post Master and radio station broadcaster who lives above the Post Office in the Town Hall building-with its backup generator running since yesterday--was on the air all night and then bright and early Sunday morning advising people to shelter in place in their homes. And Sunday church was cancelled by the Vicar due to the roads being impassable due to the drifting snow and the church's power was also out and they could not keep their parishioners warm.

But residents were encouraged to call Gordon if they were having difficultly with food or warmth, and he would try to connect them with Chipping Village neighbors who were willing and able to help. It turns out that most of the outlying village farmers have diesel generators on their farms and are okay. It is mostly the in town villagers without generators and any stranded motorist who are having trouble keeping warm.

So Post Master Gordon Clement makes a hopeful call around 7:00am on Sunday, December 23rd, to Clara Saunders.

Clara: "Hello?" She asks softly and groggily, her not wanting to wake Evie still sleeping in her crib in the bedroom.

Gordon: "Hello, Clara. It's Gordon Clement from the Post Office." He begins cheerfully. Gordon is also a Justice of the Peace and part time constable, serves on the Chipping Village board of public works, such as it is--due to the small nature of their village.

Clara: "Why Gordon, I'm glad to hear that you're alright. And I'm amazed that the phone lines are working!"

Gordon: "Me, too. But that just shows the merit of our Village paying the slightly higher cost of our Village burying the new phone line system underground last year-since the heavy snow fall didn't have any poles to break." Then he gets right to his point. "Clara, I see that the restaurant has power-with your lights on. So you must have your backup diesel generator going--as do I over here at the Post Office in the Town Hall building."