Chapter 14 - The power to change a life

Spinner's End, Cokeworth, July 1978

Out of breath, Severus and Petunia chased down the street of Spinner's End. Severus was really amazed by Petunia's carefree nature and her willingness to alter her appearance with the means of magic. Sure, he had been aware of her desire to experience some adventures in the Magical world. And altering your appearance with the help of glamours and creating a new identity was a huge adventure. But he couldn't understand Petunia's eagerness to put her life at risk in the Wizarding world at the moment. For her association with him and their trips to unique magical places would not only alienate her from her family, especially Lily who seemingly hated his guts and condemned him as some evil, dark wizard, but also endangerd her life. He knew that most of his Slytherin acquaintances would attack Petunia violently on the spot, if they noticed that she was a Muggle. Whereas the mostly pure-blooded Slytherin would only verbally abuse her as a filthy, unintelligent Muggle and brand him a blood-traitor for spending some time with her and having the audacity to show her the Magical world, the cruel, sadistic and power-hungry followers of Lord Voldemort would undoubtedly attack her with curses and jinxes that would most likely torture her or kill her on the spot and try to kill him for his defiance and Muggle loving ways.

On the one hand, Severus feared such a confrontation and believed in the success of his disguise plan. On the other hand, he somehow desired such a confrontation and deemed their plan to hide Petunia's Muggle status as a lost cause. He couldn't really explain his conflicted feelings. But somehow, he wanted to be seen with Petunia in the Wizarding world. Most likely, this desire stemmed from the most hidden part in his subconsciousness that wanted to be acknowledged as a loyal friend, kind soul and tolerant wizard. This part of his subconsciousness wanted to rub his tolerance of Muggles, his new friendship with Lily's elder sister and his ability to spark someone's interests in Magic in the faces of the Marauders, Prof. Dumbledore and his Slytherin bullies. He, the ugly, impoverished and obsessed with the Dark Arts Half-blood who everyone wrote off as a future Death Eater, looser and despicable human, resisted the callings of the Dark Arts and Death Eaters, made close friends with a beautiful, enthusiastic and kindhearted young Muggle woman and introduced her to the wonders of the Wizarding world.

His friendship with Petunia and offer to experience magical adventures with her wasn't first and foremost a ploy to own his enemies, but rather an opportunity to get to know true friendship, distract his glum thoughts with an exciting new task and transfer his love for magic to another human being. Besides that, for the first time in his life, Severus had the feeling that he could help another teen to discover herself, change her life, fulfill her dreams and be a better person. Furthermore, he realized that this friendship would also shape his life by opening up his formally embittered and glum worldview, future expectations and heart. Hell, it had already altered his life because he finally had decided to tell the Death Eaters to go to hell, start looking for love again and believe in his chances to become a famous potioner. He couldn't believe that his encounter with his childhood nemesis had altered his life so profoundly in one eye-opening afternoon.

From the corners of his eyes, he studied the happily smiling form of Petunia. Despite her running, she had a huge, infectious smile plastered on her rosy flushed face. Her sapphire blue eyes sparkled with mischief and excitement, her long honey-blond looks flew around her like a flowing mane and her floral dress hung to her lean figure and accentuated her curves. Although Severus was still enamored with Lily, he couldn't deny his new attraction to Petunia. He scolded himself for his inappropriate thoughts. He couldn't believe that a pretty face and nice female body could distract him like this. Besides that, he had promised to educate Petunia in magical matters, not to ogle her or make some sleazy attempt to be more than friends. Therefore, Severus tried to distract his mind by thinking about which areas he wanted to cover first with Petunia concerning her education. He realized that the time must be nearing 5.30 PM so that they should begin their brewing as soon as they arrived in his dark home.