Chapter 64

The Girl Who Searched the Earth

It was getting dark, and I had made no progress whatsoever in locating the Doctor.

The slight chill in the air had since increased to a bitter cold once the sun finally set. I hadn't even noticed how numb my hands were until too many hours had passed.

I stopped wandering the field, the tenth one I had searched that night, and decided my plan was no longer effective. I flipped off my flashlight, and just stood in the wind for a moment, trying to collect my thoughts. He was there, he had to have been there. I'd made the calculations - which, I had to admit, took a bit more gut instinct than I think traditional mathematics is supposed to entail - and I knew he had to have landed within two miles of here.

Okay, maybe more like three.

No. Fine. Four miles, if I'm being generous.

It shouldn't have mattered whether he was two miles or two hundred from me, I should have found him by then. Yet, he was nowhere to be seen. I teleported out of the field, after double checking to make sure it was clear.

I blinked at the sudden bright light that hit my eyes, and just barely ran out of the road in time to miss being hit by a car. I honestly didn't know where I was, but it was a city, of sorts. There were cars, there were lights, the occasional person passing by. It was quite a jolt from where I had wandered around, aimlessly, for what felt like days. It was loud, and there was construction going on a few miles off. For once, it was nice to actually see some life around me.

I crossed the street again - this time, making sure the road was clear beforehand - until I finally arrived where I was hoping to go in the first place. I pushed the doors open soundlessly, hoping to make the smallest disturbance possible.

~🌺~

"I'm...sorry. I still don't understand."

I placed my elbows on the table, holding my head in my hands. "What's there not to understand? Do you or do you not have a report of a man falling out of the sky?"

"I just - is this some sort of joke? Because I don't understand-" The policeman shook his head. "Look, if you need a ride home, I can arrange for that. Or I can call your parents, but this-"

"Listen, man, I am dead serious right now, I swear." I sighed loudly, leaning back to look around the room. "My friend has gone missing, and if I'm right, then he should have landed right around this area, at right around this time." I stopped. "Wait a second, where is 'here,' anyway?"

"You're in Sheffield."

I blinked. "Sheffield?" I echo, "what's a 'Sheffield?'"

"I have better things to do right now, Miss. Now tell me, what was your name?"

"Was there any people just...found, anywhere around here? A man, or a - oh, gosh, I don't even know."

"Now, hang on," the man said, suddenly a lot more concerned than he was a moment ago, "has your friend actually gone missing? Be serious, please, because I need to put out a call if that's true."

"No, no." I groaned. "That won't be necessary. He's not missing, he's just nowhere to be seen. Now, please, did you have anything unidentified, or anything strange for that matter-"

"How long has your friend been missing?" The man persisted. He meant well, but the way he was treating me was starting to get on my nerves.

"Dude, I literally don't know how to answer that."