188

The four of us slowly made our way down Magar's wing, and looked around at the countless bones. Some of the skeletons were not much bigger than Magar's baby, while others dwarfed Magar many times over. Though many of the skeletons were mostly complete, and clearly not that old, the few that were much larger than any dragon still alive were nothing more than a few bones scattered across the valley floor. There was what looked to be a claw sticking up from the ground that was nearly as big as Magar's head, which ironically had a skull that could fit in my hand resting next to it.

"Why on earth are there so many bones here?" Amy asked. 

"I haven't got even the slightest idea. But it seems as though some of these dragons have died centuries ago." I replied.

"Perhaps the larger ones are from the war that once ravaged this land." I said.

"Perhaps so. A few of these certainly fit the size descriptions of the dragons that fought near the wars end. One of the ribs back that way has very clear bite marks on them, and those bite marks were made by teeth much larger than even Doron's." I replied.

I turned back to where we had landed as Magar made her way through the maze of bones that stretched out for miles in all directions. She looked up at what looked like a rib that stuck out of the ground, towering over her. Her baby stayed close by her side as she looked around curiously at the hundreds of bones, many of which were much larger than anything she had ever seen. 

"Why did she bring us here?" I asked Bailey.

"I wish I knew, But I don't." She replied.

Just as she finished her sentence, we were all startled by a loud thud off in the distance, followed by a series of lighter thuds that were clearly something large walking slowly. I looked around, but couldn't see what ever was causing the sounds.

"It must be a dragon. It has to be." Amy said.

"Stay close to Magar. If anything decides to attack us, she'll keep us safe." Bailey said as she ran to Magar's side.

Magar looked around, calling out several times, before she started towards a large crater embedded in already deep valley. 

"Stay close. Just in case." Bailey said as she ran to catch up with Magar.

We stayed close behind the two dragons as we walked through the endless skeleton fragments, constantly looking around, expecting to see a dragon coming at us from any direction. The sound of the unseen dragon walking stopped abruptly, before a surprisingly loud roar shock the ground, stopping Magar in her tracks. 

"It's big. That can now be confirmed." Amy said quietly.

Magar started forward again, until she reached the edge of the crater. She looked down into it, and just stood their silently. 

"Come on!" I exclaimed as I ran to the craters edge.

I looked down into the crater, and was frozen with the sight I was greeted with. Down in the craters centre, was a massive dragon, with black scales tipped with dull red accents, far larger than any other dragon still alive. Yet, the dragon stood before a skull much larger than its own, attached to an entire skeleton. The skeleton was clearly old, and based on its size, it was one of the last dragons to die in the war. But, I didn't pay it much attention. I was much more drawn by the much smaller, still living dragon that was resting at the base of its skull.

"It's Doron...." I said.