23. Mordekai

June 1938

Three feelings led to my undoing : three vague sensations and the sight of a syringe filled with glowing fluid.

The pinch of a needle. A flood of racing fire. A sensation most fierce and cold.

My blood went cold as ice without freezing. The frost beneath my skin was the final straw: the changing factor.

"I'm calling it Nexus," Ned said, putting the needle and syringe back into his kit as I stared blankly at the penetration point on my arm . "A connection between two things."

"When will Lewis get his?"

"Mr. Covington will receive the injection in the morning," Ned replied, closing his kit. He moved around to face me again with arms crossed. "How do you feel so far?"

"Cold," I told him. "It was really hot for a moment, but now I'm downright icy."

"You appear normal. No chills or shivering. You may go into shock. I'll leave a nurse on standby." He left.

I shifted on my cot, completely enraptured by what I was feeling. Lewis walked in a few moments later. I nearly didn't notice him.

"That's an odd look on your face."

"It's amazing, Lewis," I whispered. "I'm freezing inside but not cold at all outside. It's exhilarating...like an adrenaline rush without the heat."

"Glad you're enjoying it. That's a good sign, I hope."

"It's delicious," I hissed, arching a bit as a wave of icy pleasure swept through my body, riding the very edge of pain.

"Awkward," Lewis said around a chuckle, "but admittedly interesting."

"You smell like coffee. I never noticed before."

Lewis laughed. "The Nexus must giving you a high."

I giggled and stretched, nearly falling off the table as a dizzy spell hit me. Lewis managed to keep me from toppling over.

"You need an adult."

"Nah, just you."

"Very funny," he said, rolling his eyes. "You staying here tonight?"

"Noooo," I half sang, clinging to him as he dragged me across the room. "No, no, no. The cot's like a rock."

"To your room then."

"Lewis," I said, as he led me down the hall. "Are we friends?"

"You doubt it?"

I smiled.

"Not anymore."