1.70 In Which Formal Madness Ensues

DISCLAIMER: I Do Not Own Teen Wolf

Honestly, Ellie wasn't really looking for the formal.

She wanted to go with Scott, holding his arm as they walked inside, him complimenting her on her way-too-expensive dress and spending the entire night dancing. But, no, instead she was stuck with wallowing in self-pity as her voice mail was left unheard and she was forced to go with Jackson. Sure, Jack was a good friend. He was nice, and funny, and a good listener, but it wasn't hard to see that he really wanted to go with Lydia. Broken up or not, the two were totally still in love with each other. They were both just too damn stubborn to admit it.

Allison helped her get ready, the taller girl herself in a pale pink tube dress with a black ribbon around the waist, her hair pulled into a side ponytail. Ellie did her cousin's make up, then curled her hair and slipped on her dress.

It was the same one that the stranger at Macy's had picked out for her. It was strapless, a deep crimson red colour that clung to her body like a second skin from her chest to the middle of her thighs. Getting so dressed wasn't necessary – her date was Jackson, after all – but she couldn't help but remember that she might see Scott. Even if he obviously didn't care what she was wearing. And that he was forbidden from coming to the dance.

Allison was catching a ride with her date, Brian, from the lacrosse team. He picked her up at 6:30, a weird grin on his face that made Ally look back at her with wide eyes. Ellie gave her a sympathetic look, but made no move to stop her from going.

With a long, suffering sigh, she carefully sat back on the sofa, stared at the door and waited.

Scott was almost dressed. He had on a crisp white shirt, a grey tie strung around his neck (yet to be tied) and a pair of black slacks. He was way too worried about the formal to be really excited about it. There was a very large chance that he would have to fight the alpha to get him away from Ellie, and he wasn't prepared for that. He couldn't even fight Derek, let alone his sociopathic uncle with enhanced supernatural abilities.

That, and then the fact he wasn't actually allowed to be there. Finstock would have his balls for earrings if he got caught, and he'd have to spend the entire night watching Ellie have fun with Jackson. Sure, he was the one who asked his co-captain to escort her, but that didn't mean he had to like it. And he really, really wouldn't.

His mother walked in when Scott was in the bathroom, sweeping his hair into a somewhat neat style, and trying to do his tie. Seriously, whose idea was it to make wrapping something around your neck formalwear?

"This is really nice," Melissa said in surprise, brushing down his suit jacket. "How did you afford a- oh."

Yeah, it turns out that buying a suit at the last minute with a very limited budget made for a not very nice selection. His jacket had a very large hole on the inside, one that he'd fixed with duct tape a couple of hours before. Scott groaned, tightening his neck tie as he hurried back to his bedroom. "It's not going to work, is it?"

"No! No, it's fine," his mum assured him, "No one will notice," he voice dropped, "No one legally blind."

"I heard that!"

"Okay, will you just come in here and we can try it," she picked the jacket up and held it for him to try on. He slipped into the garment, Melissa pulling at the lapels. "See, I actually think this is going to work."

"Really?"

"Turn," He did so. "And no."

Scott looked over his shoulder at her. "What?"