Chapter Four: Beyond Science and Magic

"I see, so Leo is a product of both magic and experiment?" Maaya asked the question to confirm it with Farah and which the mutant nodded. After that, Maaya sip her tea that was green in color but has a sweet aroma and taste with it.

"What made you and Leo different then?" Gilliam asked while looking at the odd greenery that he is seeing on the window of the house they are staying with. It was a big difference about the deserted town which all he can see is brown and a little bit orange at hues. It wierded him out to see a sudden shrubs in the area.

"I became a mutant when I was biochemically experimented back then. And I can only use my power as it is not be able to use magic. While Leo has been experimented with the same treatment, though, on that time, he was being developed as a magical weapon. That is why he can use magics to aid him. But he doesn't know that he is also a mutant." Farah explained to the both of them.

"How about the others here?"

"Mr. Gilliam, the others are the same, but the magically enhanced mutants are scattered somewhere in the continent, but as far as I know, we are all the same, we can't use magics." Farah folded her hands in her chest and made a solemn face that made the air in the room a little lighter.

"I see, so you have the ability to control the emotions of those who are around you." Gilliam said while smiling towards Farah that made her flinch a little from the surprise.

"I see. You are a good one, despite being new in the world." Farah smiled at her, "But that isn't the only ability that I have, I can also read minds."

"That was certainly a helpful ability, even though I have magic, having an ability or a spell to read mind is certainly a rare one." Maaya said in a delighted tone, and it was evident that she was quiet envious about it. Farah just giggle about the thought of it.

"But, how about Leo? What are you going to do with him?" Gilliam asked Farah again to know what will happen to the shaggy man.

"As far as he is still growing up, we'll continue guiding him, but if he wanted to go with you guys on which he does, we have no choice but to leave my baby brother to you guys and I am sure that you'll protect him." Farah said but she was sure that there is a doubt on Gilliam's mind because Gilliam is already thinking about not having a concern to anyone but the goal in his mind about driving away the human. Though Farah knows it too well, she still hopes that Gilliam will take care of Leo.

"I don't need to tell you about it ain't I?" Gilliam asked in a manner like, he had no choice over it. Because of some reason, he could tell that his mind is being probed. Farah just smiled shyly.

*

"Where have you been? We've waiting here for centuries!" Gilliam shouted at Leo who was just back from his long walk.

"That was way too exaggerating dude, I just took of for at least an hour. . . . . or two . . . .  or maybe longer than that." He looked at the sun and it was already setting up. "Fine! Maybe it was a really long walk."

"Ok, ok, So, have you found anything on this town?" Leo asked.

"Well, it was really deserted and it seems that a caravan of merchants went in here days earlier but they quickly left when they found no one is here."

"Either way, we need to move out now." Gillaim said while looking at Leo

"OK. . . . What just happened?" Leo asked Maaya.

"Nothing." Maaya said after lifting her shoulders and bringing it down.

"Why don't we just spend the night here?"

"You don't want to run into something like a night dessert monster to eat your head. Right?" Gilliam asked with a deadly grin on her face that made Leo shiver and Maaya giggle with it and they walked together out of the town.