CHAPTER 28 - here and now

"Don't be so nervous" I walk alongside Eric towards the pit, where a stage is set up for the job ceremony.
"Do you have any idea what job you want to take?" I shrug my shoulders, I honestly don't know.
"Just a heads up, they are going to offer you leadership. I should have told you earlier but I didn't think" I swallow hard as I process the information. We arrive at the large area sectioned off for today.

"I'll be up on stage with max and the other leaders. Can I kiss you or?" My heart melts at him asking can he kiss me because we are in front of a crowd. I just smile widely in response as he leans down and connect his lips with mine briefly before walking up the stage steps. The smile doesn't leave my face as I walk around looking for my friends. I can feel a few pairs of eyes on me, I did just kiss a leader after all. I spot a sheepish looking Jane and the others so I sit down with them. Janes grin only grows when we make eye contact.

"Are we going to talk about this?"
"there's really nothing to talk about" I feel myself blushing as I here Adam scoff. 
"Sure. You didn't just eat his face or anything" I close my eyes and sigh.
"Yeah, I did" I decide to give the blunt answer before I hear someone tapping the microphone.

"Can I have your attention everyone. I would like to start with congratulating everyone for surviving dauntless initiation. You had a tough run, you proved your strength and we appreciate that." My chest swells with pride as max speaks.
"So here's how this job ceremony is going to work, you will come up in the order of your rankings, you will see the list of jobs available, you will then get your apartment keys off of Eric. Good luck everyone" nerves kick in again and I'm just waiting for my name to be called.

"Alex" I stand from my seat making my way up to the stage in a nervous manner. Max offers me a warm smile as he hands me the sheet of jobs.

Fence patrol
Control room
Tattoo artist
Kitchen staff
Shop worker
Bar tender

I don't see leadership on the list and I make an on the spot decision of fence patrol. Just as I'm about to speak max stops me in my tracks.
"As we all know, Alex was our first place in initiation this year. We have a slot open in leadership this year as Marty is retiring. We would like to offer you a position of leader in training, if you'll take it"
At this moment the whole audience has gone silent, I feel the tension in the air. I sneak a glance at Eric and he just gives a quick barely noticeable smile.

"I'll accept" my words are quiet but sure.
"Welcome our new leader in training, Alex" the group erupts into applause and a small smile appears on my face as max ushers me over to Eric.
"Here's your keys, congratulations" his hand lingers on mine for a second longer than it probably should.
"Thank you, see you later?" I say the lads part quietly so only he can hear, he give a single nod. "Beside the chasm" his mouth barely moves as he speaks. I quickly make my way back down to my seat and my friends are all beaming brightly.
"You're a big shot now Alex" jack plays and I roll my eyes.
"Shut it"
"Gonna have to get you a bodyguard now"
"Jack" I warn.
"I'm kidding!"

+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+

I tap my foot against the cold concrete ground as I look down on the water crashing into the rocks of the chasm.

"Well hello mrs. Leader in training" I turn around to see Eric standing in front of me. He engulfs me in a hug and I laugh a little.
"Come on let's go find your apartment" an excitement bubbles inside of me as I here him say 'my' apartment, it reminds me that hell of an initiation is over.
We walk through the pit and over to the staircase. We walk up a few flights before we stop on the middle floor, the leader floor.
"Wait I get a leader apartment? I thought I was just training"
"You can have a regular apartment if you'd prefer?" His words are laced with sarcasm and I huff.
"No no its fine" he lets out a laugh as we stop at a red door.

He steps out of my way motioning me to unlock the door. I can't help but smile as I twist the key in the lock and push in the door to my apartment. I am in awe when I walk inside. My feet hit against the glossy hardwood as I walk around my open living area. It looks quite similar to Eric's.
"Wow" I am in absolute awe. A pair of hands wrap around my waist sending electricity up my spine.
"Welcome home" He plants a kiss on my cheek and I smile brightly. He lets out a snigger. I turn around in his embrace and put my hand on his cheek.
"What are you laughing at?"
"Your just so cute when you smile"
"Who knew that Eric coulter had a heart" I pretend to act shocked as his hands wrest on my waist.
"Yeah yeah whatever" he try's his best to be cold but I see this grin creeping onto his face as I place my lips on his.

When we kiss a feeling just overwhelms my whole existence, like nothing else is important but here and now.
I pull away and rest my forehead against his.
"I really like you, you know that right?" His words flutter in my stomach.
"I like you too, a lot" I find the words flowing out of me, but they are true,

I do like him,
A lot.

"Eric! Alex! You'd better come quick" our hands drop from each other as I see a very worried Adam at the doorway.

"It's Harry"