Episode 38.5: Christmas Wish

*Serrano*

[Fourteen~ Years Before main story]

"Brother!" Conrad said, waking up.

"What's up?" I asked, all gurgly as I opened my eyes.

The snow white haired kid with bright red eyes giggled. "The sky!"

I gave him a dry laugh. "Not the first time I've heard that one."

Conrad pouted. "It's not? Hmm, the ceiling?"

"Heard that one too."

He grumbled. "Oh phooey!"

I patted his head and grinned. "So, why did you wake me up, little bro?"

Conrad's face brightened. "Do you know what day today is?"

I tilted my head at him. "Well, it isn't my birthday, that's in the sixth moon. It isn't yours either as that's in the eighth moon and we're in the twelfth moon. Hmm, don't think it's Mama's either."

Conrad sighed. "It's the day the Sky Father was born in that other world and began his mission of salvation!"

I chuckled. "No one is completely sure what day that was. Some say it was on the first moon, on the sixth day. I personally think the latter one is it."

"Oh? Then let's celebrate on that day! We can get decorations ready! My teacher showed us how to make decorations for it. Though mommy ripped the wreath I made in class... she called me a bad boy for suggesting putting it up."

I patted his head again. "Ya know Ma. She hates this day. Perhaps you don't recall as you were a toddler at the time, but this is the second anniversary that he left us."

Conrad lowered his head and squeezed the white rabbit in his hands. I had made it for him, ironically as a gift on the very day our Pa left us.

"Oh... so that's why," he said as his eyes became watery. "No wonder Mommy called Conrad a bad boy... He forgot today was when Pappy abandoned us."

I brought him closer and hugged him tightly. "Conrad isn't a bad boy." If anyone is... it's me. It was my fault that my parents got into that fight that day... I deserved to be beaten by Ma...

***

[Two year prior]

"Mommy?" Conrad asked as he stared at our crying mom. My three-year-old little brother hugged the plushie I had made for him.

Our mom turned to look at him and picked up the glass, half filled with wine, and threw it at him.

Conrad let out a yelp as the glass shattered. Thought it didn't hit him, but me. I... I couldn't stay hidden anymore. I couldn't let my little brother get hurt.

"Mommy?" Conrad said.

"Get out of my sight!" she yelled. She turned her eyes toward me and watched as the wounds caused by the glass healed. "And you, Serra. Why did you tell your dad to leave?"

I lowered my gaze. "He... he wasn't happy with us. We're just making ourselves miserable, by trying to keep this family together."

"Is that so?" she yelled as she grabbed me by my hair. Her breath smelled of alcohol. She picked me up by the hairs on my head and walked over to the living room. "You were a bad boy, Serrano. You know what happens to bad boys, right?"

"Mommy, please, don't!" I cried out as she raised her hand.

Blood rolled down my face. "You should've thought of that before you decided to be a bad kid," she whispered into my ear before throwing me into our tree.