Merome- Life In Shadows Part 1

Mitch's P.O.V.

I smiled as the vines crawled along the leafy ground towards my outstretched arms, twining themselves around my fingers and sneaking up my forearm. I would never get over the fact that life could bend to my will, that I could control anything that had life running through it.

I would never forget the times I lost control, the times I lost it and instead of controlling life, I ended it. I knew that while I was life, I could also be death.

Jerome watched from where he was sitting, few metres above me in a tree. He was phasing in and out of my view as he manipulated the shadows around him until he completely disappeared from sight, the only hint that he was there was a slight wavering of the air, like the air about the road when it's too hot.

"You ready to keep moving Mitch?" Jerome asked, fading back into view. I nodded and dropped the vines reluctantly. I didn't want to keep moving, I didn't want to be on the move, I wanted to settle down somewhere where I was safe. But I couldn't.

You see, both Jerome and I were wanted fugitives, not because of anything we had done, but who we were. You see both Jerome and I were elementals, who occurred in about 1 in 1000 humans, who all had control over a certain element.

Some elements were rarer than others, the most common ones were the ones you heard about all the time, air, water, fire, earth, those sorts of things and the rarest were life and death. I was life.

Because of that I had been aggressively hunted ever since the government found out about my power, there had only been 5 known people with life powers so I knew they wanted to study me, harvest my powers for their own agenda.

Jerome was a shadow, one of the rarer elements, he could manipulate the way people saw the light and could completely hide himself, others or objects from view. His power was similar to light, but where light could create large blasts of white light for defense, he could completely blind people permanently by filling their eyes with shadows. His actions could only be reversed by himself.

Because of our powers we couldn't live in normal society, not when our faces were plastered all over wanted posters in every village, wanted for murder even though we had never killed anyone. It was just a tactic to get everyone scared of us because almost no one knew about elementals, we were the best kept secret by the government other than the killings of hundreds of us because we were a 'threat' to society.

"I guess." I muttered, standing up from the ground. Jerome landed with a thud beside me, reaching out his arms in the offer of a hug. I took it and he squeezed me tightly, whispering comfortingly into my ear.

"I know you don't want to keep going Mitch but we have to, we're almost to the border and if we cross it hopefully we'll be able to start anew, where people don't know who we are." I sighed but nodded, rubbing my eyes tiredly.

There was nowhere in the world where we could be completely safe, every single place that we knew of hunted any elementals down, but if there was a place where we weren't known then maybe we could start over.

"We'll get there one day, I promise, just like a promised you when we were 10." He brushed some of the hair out of my eyes. "We're so close Mitch, just hang on."

---------------------------------------------

Jerome's hand brushed mine, a symbol of reassurance as we desperately waited for a moment to sneak across the border. It was heavily guarded, armed patrols going by every 10 minutes or so, but the biggest problem was there was no cover at all on the other side.

There was cover on our side, thick layers of undergrowth and trees that was perfect cover for our dark clothes and dirt stained skin. We would have to wait for night, the darkness would give us cover and I was too exhausted to make the dash.