33 | take my hands

THANK YOU FOR 550,000 READS OH MY GOD!

33 | Take My Hands 

— Car accident, Avi

"Take my hands," Axel tells me as we stand in front of the school building

"Take my hands," Axel tells me as we stand in front of the school building. I meet his gaze as I place my cold hands down into his, trying to avoid the snow fluttering against our faces. "Repeat after me: I'm fucking amazing. I'm going to pass this test. I'm going to become a paramedic." 

I repeat after him, breathing in calmly. "That's the plan anyway." 

Axel draws me against him, kissing the top of my head. "Alright," he says, "you're going to kill it."

"You too," I tell him, pecking his lips. "Good luck in your interview." 

"Thanks, sweetheart," he says, "let's hope they don't focus on the fact that I might be going to prison." 

I hug Axel once again. "We'll be fine. See you later for dinner."

"Can't wait," he grins, flashing me a white smile. 

I kiss him again and press my hands up against his chest to push him away from me. "Okay, I have to go. Bye. I love you." 

"I love you too," Axel says after me, holding onto my hand until I walk out of his grip and into the building to write my midterm. I'm exhausted already. I forgot to book off work, so I've been there since 10 this morning, and had rush here for my 4pm test. I leave my bag at the front and find my seat, saying hi to a couple classmates. I sigh, saying a little prayer even though I'm not religious, and wait for the exam to begin. 

I wish Axel luck when I start writing, as if he might hear my thoughts. 

I'm halfway through my exam when a phone starts ringing at the front of the classroom. My pen slides across my page in shock. Not just shock because it's loud and distracting, but because that's my phone. I recognize the ringtone - Metallica: For Whom The Bell Tolls. Axel put it on for me. 

The prof at the front clears his throat. "Someone didn't get the memo," he says demeaningly.

I beg my phone to shut up and continue writing, pretending it isn't mine, pretending my classmates haven't heard it go off in class before. I keep writing, even though it rings a second time. If it a rings a third time, I swear the prof is going to dig into all of the bags until he finds it and whips it against the wall. I thought I shut it off, at least, I was going to. 

It doesn't ring a third time, but I start to worry, and hardly concentrate on the test questions. Anyone who would call me knows I have my midterm now. It makes me think this person is desperate, or maybe excited. Maybe it's Axel, and he got the job, and he assumed I was out of class already. 

The phone finally goes off for a third time as I'm handing in my exam, and I do walk of shame when I grab my bag and the phone ringing follows me out of the room as I whisper apologies.