Chapter 9 - A Helping Hand

They worked all afternoon, digging into the water table while the sun grazed their backs. The job was almost complete thanks to the homeowner who created a drilling rig from a forklift and spare parts he found at scrap yards. Corbin was sitting in the tall grass, assembling the pump, when he glanced up to see Clara walking towards him with the neighbor. They were in mid-conversation as she gestured about; the sun glinting off a glass of lemonade in her hand, while the neighbor carried two drinks in his.

"Figured you might be thirsty," the elderly homeowner, Jamie said. "My wife sure appreciates all that you're doing for us."

"Well, I'm glad to help," Corbin replied, accepting the refreshment.

"All of us around here respect Clara for helping us. We know she's taking a risk, which is why we all protect her by keeping our mouths shut." Jamie winked. "So you don't have to worry. Your secret is safe with us too."

"I appreciate that."

"It's getting late, Jamie." Clara glances at her watch. "We'll come back tomorrow and finish installing the pump."

"Alright, well, you two have tonight, and bring your appetites because my wife will have breakfast waiting."

"Sounds good." Corbin smiled.

After finishing their refreshments and saying goodbye, they hopped inside Clara's jeep. Soon they were coasting a bumpy back road that wrapped around the mountain with a long drop on the side. As they made their way home, Corbin gripped the armrests with white knuckles while Clara shifted gears. The jeep squealed each time, causing the fear of going over the cliff to tighten his spine. He rolled his shoulders, but the knots remained.

"Clara..."

"What?" she asked.

"Why did you choose this route instead of the way we came?"

"I thought you might like the view. Isn't the sunset gorgeous?"

"Sure. Want me to drive?"

"No!" she scoffed. "You'll just have to trust that I can get us home safely."

"Trust. That's a word I'm having a hard time with lately."

"How so?" Clara asked, making the Jeep squeal as she shifted gears.

"You're going to ruin the clutch!"

"Mind your business! Now tell me why trust is hard for you these days."

Corbin tossed his head back with a chuckle. "You haven't changed."

Her hand shot out, smacking him in the chest. "Well? Spit it out."

"I just... I did something horrible."

"Like what?"

Sucking in a deep breath, Corbin poured his heart out about the beggar woman on the road and everything that happened leading up to it. By the time he finished relating the story, they were turning onto the road for home. Clara remained silent the entire time, which made him sweat. Was she judging him? The silence continued as she pulled into the driveway and turned off the engine, but then she turned to him.

Placing her hands over his, she said, "You've had a nasty string of events happen to you, but you can't let it eat you up."

"You mean you're not upset with me for what I did? Because I feel awful. I keep seeing her body lying there on the road and the crows, the bullet holes, the blood. I keep hearing myself shouting at her. All she wanted was help, and I behaved like an animal."

"Yes, you were cruel." Clara nodded. "And you could have helped her, but you can't change what's already happened. Now you have to put it behind you. The only way to make it right is by learning who you can trust, so you can make better choices."