Chapter Twenty Eight Part II

Imalroc stayed by the fire, half-hoping the huntmaster would reappear. He was an idiot for letting that word slip out. The night hung heavy in the camp, like soupy air settling before thunder. His limbs twitched restlessly. He should never have come to talk to Rerdas feeling like this. But there lay the whole fucking problem, the sensation of knowing he ought to walk away and yet not being able to, again and again, coming back to further disaster and heartache. There didn't seem to be a way out of it.

A firm tap on his shoulder interrupted his stewing thoughts, and he glanced up to see Tefka. The captain's expression was set in a grim mold. His arms were full of scrolls and the letters.

"We need to talk," he said. His lips barely moved, as though his face was so strained he could not form words.

Imalroc gestured to the open patch of ground before the dying fire, and the captain sat, letting the maps and scrolls spill out between them.

"Where did you get all this?" Imalroc asked.

"Nicked it from Morbank's tent. Eternals know he's got no idea what to do with any of it. Look at this—wait, wrong one," Tefka said, shuffling for the map he was seeking. "This one. If these numbers are right, we're in trouble." He held the map up to catch the waning firelight, and Imalroc inspected it.

The map marked the predicted path the Red Guard would take as they approached Dimmerset. Running his fingers across the parchment, Imalroc examined the symbols denoting the enemy forces. The time he had spent leaning over Tefka's shoulder while the captain pored over military maps had taught him what most of the symbols meant.

"But this is two less columns of troops that we originally thought," Imalroc said, counting again to check he had not made a mistake.

"Two less columns of foot soldiers, yes, but these are the problem." Tefka stabbed at a cluster of u-shaped designs. "Every one of these stands for one hundred mounted soldiers. The original force we were expecting must have waited for the mounted infantry to come down from the North, because there was no mention of them in the earlier reports. Cavalry, Imalroc. They're bringing a cavalry."

"Eternals damn them," Imalroc muttered. He stared at the map, but all he was seeing was what their formations would look like once pike-wielders on charging war horses had carved through them.

He closed his eyes, and saw Rerdas' face, exhausted and wounded. But the best he could do for the huntmaster now was to find some way for them to survive the coming battle. "We can't meet their charge."

"Absolutely not," Tefka said.

"Then we need a defensive position."

"That's what I thought too. But the vineyards aren't enough of an obstacle for horses, they'll just run them down the rows. And we don't have time to dig trenches that are big enough. They're supposed to be here by morning."

"What are our other options?" Imalroc kept his eyes closed, picturing possible scenarios.

"We could try to hold on this hill. It's closer to the forest, and if we need to fall back they'll at least have to abandon the horses to follow us into the jungle. But—"

"That leaves the main road through town open for them."

"Exactly. My best guess is they'll use it to flank us and cut us off from the Southern felds. Drive us further into the Midlands."

Imalroc imagined the feeling of the earth shivering beneath the pounding of an army of hooves, massive horseflesh crushing them to the ground. They'd have to prepare to lose nearly everyone in the horses' paths.