Chapter One

Originally published: December 24, 2018. 

New update published: January 3, 2024.

Beep... Beep... Beep... Alex groaned before he turned over and slammed his hand onto his alarm clock. He hated that thing. He groaned again before he leaned up, threw the covers off, and walked over to his bathroom. He did his morning bathroom routine before he walked back into his bedroom and changed clothes. Today was his eighteenth birthday and he hoped for a relaxing day.

He walked downstairs and peeked around the corner to learn that his father was not home. He smiled before he stepped into the kitchen so he could make some breakfast. He decided on a bagel with cream cheese. After he had made his breakfast, he heard a knock. He walked over to the door and opened it. He saw two tall males standing at the door.

"Oh? Hello?"

"Hi. Is Mr. Sawyer home?" The gentleman to the right said. Alex looked at them confused.

"No, he is not. I am not sure where he went either. Why do you ask?"

"He told me to come around near noon to pick up something he owes me." The same gentleman spoke. Alex and the gentleman looked at one another for a few seconds before Alex shrugged his shoulders.

"I do not know what to tell you. I would say come back around four or maybe five pm." Alex said while he tried to close the door, but the gentleman on the left slammed his hand on the door and forced the door open. Alex tumbled back but was able to stay on his feet. The two gentlemen walked into the house.

"Hey! Get out!" Alex demanded, but the two men laughed and walked around.

"Pretty house."

"Thanks? Would you like leave? My dad isn't home." Alex said while he kept the front door open. The men looked around before they nodded to one another. They looked at the smaller male in front of them and walked back to the door. One gentleman held out a card for Alex to take.

"Please have your father call me once he gets home." Alex took the card and examined the words. Wolfdorf Inc. Alex nodded before he closed the door behind him. He rubbed the back of his head confused before he went back to the kitchen and ate his breakfast.

He walked upstairs and decided to go onto his computer. He typed in Wolfdorf Inc. and found nothing. He sighed before shaking his head. He did not want to get into whatever his father was doing now. He decided to collect his laundry and run the washing machine. He walked down the stairs, while it was his birthday, and decided to play music while cleaning the house. He graduated high school at the age of seventeen and has not had the opportunity to move out due to his father.

His father was not necessarily protective, he did not want his son to leave him. Alex's mother passed away when he was twelve and since then his father has not been the same. His father's anger would get the best of him. His father has tried numerous times to date, but no one has lasted for more than a few weeks. His father would disappear for days and then come home like nothing happened. He would forget to leave money for Alex to get food or pay bills, but the father would come home and handle it.

Alex enjoyed the calmness that was around him. He cleaned downstairs and went upstairs to clean. He cleaned his room, bathroom, his father's office, his father's room, and bathroom. He did not want his father to find a reason to yell. Once he completed his tasks for the day, he moved his laundry to the dryer and placed his bed sheets in the washing machine.

He heard the front door slam close, and he knew his father was home. He waited a few minutes before he walked down the stairs. He saw his father sitting on the couch with his head lowered. He stood at the bottom of the stairs watching his father.