Chapter 25

I walked side by side with Mr. Benjamin as we entered the courtroom. I had reassured him that we will leave this courthouse successful this afternoon and we will. Nigel hadn't gotten around calling me back but I still had witnesses who were convinced that Matthew Benjamin would not kill his best friend.

   I looked across the room and there he was sitting down looking all confident. He was wearing his regular black suit and was currently going through his files.

  Mr. Benjamin seemed to notice him too, so he said, "He looked like he's good at this."

  I nod. Seth was good at everything. "But I'm better." I turn to look at my client. "Mr. Benjamin, you need to have confidence in yourself. You know you didn't kill Harrison so there is no need to be afraid."

 "I don't have an alibi."

  "You don't need an alibi to win a case." Even though having an alibi strengthens the case of winning a case they are many other things that can let a person win as well. I pat him on the shoulder, "Everything is going to be okay."

 We took a seat over at our side of the court and waited patiently for the arrival of the judge. I tried to keep my eyes on the documents that were in front of me and not at the man on the opposite side of the court.

 It was tempting but I couldn't let Mr. Benjamin think that I was intimated by Seth because I wasn't.

 Just attracted to him.

  "All rise." The bailiff said and when everyone obeyed, he continued. "102 District Court is now in Session. Honourable Judge Brown presiding."

  Judge Brown came from the back, his face expressionless as usual. When he took a seat he said, "Thank you, you may be seated."

  Everyone in the courtroom followed the judge's order and sat down. "Court is now in session. We call B2 2783 the state of New York versus Matthew Benjamin, is now in Session."

I offered Mr. Benjamin a small smile. We will win this case.

We must.

 "Is the prosecution ready?" Judge Brown says as he looked over at Seth's side of the court.

 Seth stood from his seat and answered, "Yes, Your Honor." Then sat back down.

Judge Brown then looked over my side and asked, "Is the Defense ready?"

Standing from my seat I looked straight at the Judge, "Yes. Your Honor."

"We will now hear Opening Statements from the Prosecution."

  Seth stood saying, "Thank you, Your Honor. Your Honor, today you will hear adding evidence how Matthew Benjamin, the defendant of this case killed his business partner, Harrison Samuel. We will provide evidence that proves his guiltiness and Your Honor that's why we ask for a verdict of guilty. Thank You."

  If there was one thing about Seth that drew me to him was his way of words and his way to woo people with them.

 "Thank you, Counsel. Would the defence like to give their opening now or would they like to defer until the prosecution have rested their case?"

I stood up quickly saying, "We'd like to give our opening statement now Your Honor."

  Judge Brown gesture for me to start so I did. "Your Honor, ladies and gentlemen of the court, today I am representing Matthew Benjamin." I moved from my seat and went in front of the jury. "My client is being accused of killing his best friend of 29 years. The friends shared a strong relationship even to Mr. Samuel last breath. Now the murder weapon was founded in my client's backyard and they founded the weapon because someone 'anonymously' called the police and tell them where it was. Now let's be frank if my client did indeed kill Harrison Samuel why would plant the murder weapon in his own home and second why would call to report that they know it was there in the first place? Immediately after the body was founded. The only thing my client is guilty of is loving Harrison and that's we ask for a verdict of not guilty. Thank you."