three

jack's pov +

today was the annual california college sports reward ceremony - a few teams from usc were selected to attend and a few players from the trojans were nominated.

the first half of the ceremony was already over, so we're currently in an intermission to have the three course meal that's provided.

"i hate wearing a suit. it's so uncomfortable" sam complained, adjusting the tie around his neck. he was seated at the same table as me whereas the rest of our friends were allocated somewhere else.

"you'll live, sam" i replied whilst scanning the short menu.

"why do we even have to be here? there's literally like three people on our team receiving an award and we're not any of them" he continued.

i chuckled, "dude it's free food, i thought you'd be the last to complain".

"true but all i really wanna do is be on our vacation already. no one better cancel okay, i need this" he pointed his finger at me.

"are you talking about spring break?" the cheerleader who came as sam's date gasped. "i heard that you're going to connor's beach house in cancun.".

"ooo that sounds like so much fun" iris added, flashing me a grin.

i awkwardly scratched the back of my neck as i watched sam subtly shake his head and cough as a red flag. i frowned at how obvious he was being then smiled at the girls and tried to find a good enough lie.

"actually, it's more of a boys trip" i explained. "y'know, no girls allowed".

surprisingly, the girls took it well and eventually shrugged off the idea.

to be honest, the guys and i just wanted the trip to be a mini reunion with our high school friends - being at college has made me realise that there's only so much time you can spend with usc cheerleaders.

we just wanted to invite adrianna, seriyah, and possibly jonah and kelsey too. but with dakota, i know that going on vacation with me would be the last thing that she'd want to do.

dakota's pov +

i was assigned to work the table 5 and 8 today, so i promptly made my way to table 5 in my dressed up waitress uniform and flipped open the mini notepad.

"hi, i'm dakota and i'll be taking your orders today" i said, before i started to read the notes that i usually write down to prevent from messing up.

"as you saw, the special today is the lemon butter salmon with potatoes and asparagus but we also have a few other options, and ones that are veg—"

i lost my train of thought when i finally looked up, seeing jack sat straight in front of me in a black and white suit and sam alongside him too.

my chest tightened and my mouth dried up as jack's eyes locked with mine. he sat with his lips slightly parted, clearly in shock from seeing me too.

"um, sorry" i chuckled and looked back at the notepad - my voice more weak from my dry mouth. "there are also options that are vegan and vegetarian too. so what would you like, miss?".

i first asked the young girl seated near me. i went around to every individual person, asking what food they wanted and left jack until last. he was staring at me the whole time i was taking down orders but i just needed the time to mentally prepare myself for it.

"and you sir?" my eyes connected with jack's again but everyone on the table was too deep in their own conversations to notice what was going on.

jack was so stuck in a reverie that the pretty girl beside him gently stroked his arm. i stared at her gesture, wondering what their relationship was.