Chapter 34: S27 Brown

[f]

"Are you okay, Chi?" Eren asked as he ushered the frightened girl forward, towards the exit of the building. "It seems you're still in a bit of shock..."

"III don't know," the soldier answered, shaking her head as she self-consciously rubbed her arms. "Why did that Hanji lady call me and Levi a couple...?! I could never be in love with a man like him! "

"It's alright," Eren coaxed, urging her onwards. "She was just joking. Just relax your mind. Now... do you remember me?" The boy looked at her hopefully, his forest-colored eyes glittering with a flicker of faith in her memory.

"II'm sorry, I really am, but I don't. I can't think of where I first met you or if we were friends or if even we were a couple. Though something in my gut tells me I can trust you; just like I can Levi, but with him, it'sit's different." She wrung her hands together, shaking her head feebly. "I feel like I should remember something. Like it's something really, really important, and if I truly do forget, I'll regret it for the rest of my life. I think Levi asked me about some 'promise' when I woke up, but I don't know what this 'promise' is about."

"I'm sure you'll remember. It just takes time. Time can heal a lot of wounds, you know, big or small; losing your memory is like a big wound, which takes a lot more time to heal than smaller ones."

Turning her head to look up into Eren's eyes, Chi mustered a tight smile and asked, "And what about you, Eren? Has time healed any of your big wounds?" A look of hurt flashed across his face, unable to leave, and Chi regretted asking him that question instantly. "S sorry. I didn't mean to pry."

Eren shook his head and looked at her with a pained smile. "Nno! It's not that, really. I mean, there are some things I can't say I don't regret doing, and of course, like every other human being, I have big wounds and small ones. Some haven't healed yet, no, but... I'm sure they'll get better soon." He released a small chuckle, his nose and ears tinted a light pink.

Chi's eyes lit up at the sight of his smile and she couldn't help but pull on a small grin herself, ruffling Eren's hair with one of her hands. "You know, Eren, you sound like my grandpa."

"Grandpa? Are you calling me old?" The two burst out into small laughter, the bliss filling the empty hole in Chi's chest. It constricted only moments later when the both of them realized something crucial.

"Wait," Eren breathed, his eyebrows furrowed. "Your grandpa? Did you get your memory back?!"

"No," she answered quietly, shaking her head diligently. Twisting her fingers into her hair, she slowed her breathing and reached out to latch onto the memory that whizzed past her mind, but to no avail. It slipped past, disappearing in the blink of an eye. "II don't know why II can't remember whywhat?" Shaking her head, Chi waved it off and gave Eren a reassuring smile. "It's nothing. I guess I just blurted something random." Giving her a hesitant and reluctant nod, they continued forward, almost reaching a set of wooden doors that supposedly led to the outside.

'What was that?' Chi wondered to herself. 'Is this a person from my memory?'

She had many, many more questions to ask, but the doors the two were heading towards suddenly burst open, with three figures tackling through. Two large, buff men wearing matching coats suddenly picked up the two in their arms, rushing out through the doors in which a womanone with purple eyesstood by patiently, watching as the man on the right ripped Eren away from Chi. She screamed out in terror, but her mouth was quickly covered with a sweaty palm of the man holding her.