CHAPTER NINE | TAKING LITTLE STEPS

ALEK

     The atmosphere in the truck on our way back was tense. Kaya's jaw was set tight, and the grip Chaska had on the steering wheel looked like it was minutes away from causing it to break.

     I wondered what was going on in everyone's mind. Len looked anxious, and Ahote just had his eyes on the road, the little moment we had shared in the convenience store long forgotten. I really couldn't understand what was going on, but from the little, I understood I knew that it had something to do with quarreling over land. Back home by the Siberian mountains we just moved up the mountain or further north when humans started to appear in pockets, but here, the werewolves seemed to be integrated into human society. Humans were aware of where they lived—though not knowing that they were werewolves. Humans were sadly in charge of the greater government that controlled the area.

     "We seem to be doing this every month now." Kaya's voice made Len and Ahote look up to the front. Chaska was also looking at her from the side of his eyes.

     "Maybe we should move—"

     "No," Chaska's voice was soft, but it held enough authority to make Kaya stop talking. She nibbled on her lip before moving to chew on her fingernail as she slumped back on the Truck's front seat. She looked distressed—annoyed—whatever you would call her odd frown that made her full brows arch into downturned lines.

     "Who told you about this?" Chaska asked.

     "Zeke," she said, and Chaska just nodded, before turning his concentration to the road again. I guessed that Zeke was the wolf that had been talking to Kaya when Ahote and I came up to the truck. From the way Chaska had spoken about the wolves after catching their scent in the air I had assumed that the two packs were rivals, but the softness on Kaya's eyes when she said the wolf's name made me waver in my thoughts.

     "They're mates," Ahote said in a small voice that was too low for either Kaya or Len to hear. I turned to him, my eyes wide and he just gave me a small smile as he made to rest his head on my shoulder.

     "They're not going to do anything about it," Ahote continued, taking a hold of my hand and giving it a squeeze. I could see Len's eyes move to our now laced arms. He looked tense and rather angry. He looked away, and Ahote didn't seem to take notice. Sometimes I wondered if he was aware that the teenager had an obvious crush on him.