Chapter 17. - Carpet and the Drapes

Start from the beginning

Jesse nodded at his brother. "Ging and I were just talking about what disgusting pigs men are."

"He's right, you know." Ash leaned closer, lowering his voice as a thick finger slid under my chin, lifting it up so I had no choice but to look into his bottomless black eyes. "Every single one of us."

"Which is why she's choosing to abstain from them!" Jesse added helpfully, and I felt an embarrassing flush spread over my entire body. Thankfully, it was dark enough outside that I didn't think anyone noticed.

Ash's eyes twinkled with mischief as he gazed down at me. "Is she? Smart."

I pulled my head back, escaping from his mesmerizing hold. "Who do you have your eye on Jesse?" I asked, moving the subject away from me and my dating life.

Thankfully, Jesse seemed intoxicated enough not to notice the tension between his brother and I. Or perhaps, the sparks only flew from my end, making this whole sexual connection a friction of my imagination. "Whoever has a banging bod and comes to worship me first." Jesse replied casually.

I nodded. "Very courteous, not to mention misogynist, stance."

He huffed. "Works for Ash - I might as well try it."

I raised a brow at the man with the impossibly dark eyes and long, jet black locks. "Chicks flock to you, huh?"

"Not these days." One corner of his lips turned up as he stared back at me. "Not as much as I'd like."

I rolled my eyes, but Jesse was the one who spoke up. "He's insatiable. I can't tell you the hell we've all gone through rooming with him during a tour. I mean, all night..."

I bit down on my lower lip, glancing back out at the crowd. I was very familiar with how Ash liked it - but of course, I could never tell Jesse that. "Where's Nikki?" I asked, spotting Brian, the bass player of Hazmat standing at the bar alone.

The two have been together long before Hazmat ever became a national phenomenon, and I've rarely seen one without the other very nearby, especially since Nikki worked as the band's manager.

"She's not here." Ash's raspy voice sounded from next to me. "They're not doing good."

"Oh."

"Yeah, he actually left, they've been-" Jesse started but Ash cut him off with a lift of his hand.

"That shit is private, man."

I swallowed, trying to let my logic win over the fact that Ash thought I was good enough to fuck but wasn't worthy to know about the inner workings of their band. Of course, it was none of my business. But while his words rang true, I couldn't help the pang of disappointment in my chest.

"Well, then..." I sighed, hoping to break the now very palpable tension. "I'm going to get a drink." I announced, but no sooner did I stand that Jesse grabbed my hand, and spun me around.

"Do you want to dance?" He asked, coming to his full height. He wasn't as tall or as wide as his brother, but Jesse was still an intimidating man - whose gaze kept lowering toward my sizeable cleavage.

I waited patiently until he lifted it up to meet mine, then nodded. "Let's go."

Jesse led me to the dancefloor and swirled me around so I faced him. One of my hands rested on his shoulder, while he held onto the other. We began to move, swaying back and forth to the rhythm. I wasn't much of a dancer, but to my surprise, Jesse was. His strong hands held me confidently and moved me to the beat without hesitation.

I was tempted to close my eyes, and just let him lead.

"What's wrong?" I asked finally, after half a minute of him staring over my shoulder and being as tense as someone who had a big ol' stick lodged up in their behind.