Chapter 4- Bedtime

Alex

I sigh as Marie falls asleep in my arms. The doctor said that would happen. That is one of the many effects of the medicine. That and weakness are unintended effects. Helpful, but unintended.

I take Marie up to her room instead of to the living room. I take off her onesie and check her nappy. It's still dry. I frown worriedly. She needs to use it or else she'll get sick.

I sigh and change her into a cute little nightgown. I gently lay her in her crib and tuck her in. I stick a dummy in her mouth and it immediately starts bobbing with her breaths.

She looks so cute and peaceful. Peter definitely made the right choice. I gently kiss her forehead and turn on the baby monitor and the projector. Stars are projected on her ceiling first green. Then blue. Purple. Different colours. I smile softly. That should keep her happy if she wakes up. Maybe she won't wake Peter and I. Because I know Peter will be the one to get her. And that will not end well.

I slowly walk out and gently close the door, careful not to wake her.

I walk downstairs and to the living room. Peter is sitting on the couch, his head in his hands. I quietly walk up behind him and sit on the back of the couch behind him. I place my hands on his shoulders and he jumps, surprised.

"Sorry." I whisper softly and start massaging his shoulders. He relaxes into my touch.

"I'm an awful mother." He sighs.

"That's not true." I say as I rub his shoulders. "She's just not used to this yet. But it'll be okay. I gave her the medicine in the applesauce. It'll be better tomorrow." I promise.

Peter sighs and leans back, nuzzling himself between my legs. I rub his shoulders then kiss his head. Peter smiles up at me. I kiss him gently. "It'll all turn out. And it'll be perfect. Just like you said." I assure him.

He sighs. "I hope you're right."

I smile, the tiniest hint of a smirk working its way on to my face. "I know I'm right."

Peter chuckles and we resume the movie we had been watching before Marie got up. It didn't take Peter long to fall asleep.

I had just carried Peter to bed when a soft sob sounds through the static of the baby monitor. I sigh and head to Marie's room. I open the door to her room gently and walk in. She is curled up in the corner of her crib and crying, hugging her knees. I reach into her crib and pick her up. She immediately curls into me, crying. I rub her back, occasionally patting her bum soothingly. I walk out and carry her to mine and Peter's room and lay her beside Peter before laying down on her other side. She cuddles close to Peter and falls asleep and drifts off into a restless sleep. It doesn't take me long to fall asleep as well.