Hear No Secrets Chapter 2

Chapter 2

               I wasn’t excited to face Grant the next day at school. I was so stressed out yesterday that I actually overdid it on floor and had to wear my knee brace to school. I was too stubborn to wear my back brace too. Everyone was already staring at me when I walked in. Grant was the first one to approach me at my locker.

“What do you want?” I asked.

“You’re in a good mood,” he muttered.

“That’s not the only reason why you came over here was it because you’re wasting your breath.”

“What’s with the knee brace?” he asked.

I slammed my locker closed and looked at him. “If I didn’t answer your question yesterday, do you really think I’m going to answer your question today?”

“They’re different questions.”

“I don’t care. I’m still not answering it.”

               I walked into class and I could feel Grant trailing behind. He sat in his seat seconds after I sat down in mine.

“How was your night?” Mia asked a few minutes later.

“It was okay.”

“Sore?” she asked.

“Yeah,” I admitted, “I was stressed.”

“You really like to stress Peter out don’t you?” she smiled.

I chuckled, “I guess so. Thanks.”

“Hey, what are friends for?” she said.

               To my surprise Grant sat down next to me at lunch.  “I’m sorry,” he said.

“For what?” I asked.

“You know for what.”

“No I’m afraid I don’t,” I replied.

“I’m sorry for asking so many questions. If you don’t want to talk about it then I’ll stop mentioning it.”

“Thank you.” After he was still there a couple minutes later I looked over at him, “That’s not the only reason why you’re over here is it?”

He shook his head, “No.”

“Then why are you over here?” I asked him.

“I don’t have any friends.”

“What happened to the other new students you were with and the interpreter or whatever?”

“They didn’t come today and I told you, I don’t need an interpreter.”

“Right… sorry. And you figured that since the principal wants me to welcome you here and show you around that I can be your replacement friend?”

“Or friend.”

“Fine,” I said, “Friends.”

“Really?”

“You don’t want me as a friend?”

He laughed, “I do.” It was the first time I heard him laugh. It sounded really weird and it was nothing I’ve ever heard before. After some thought I realized it made sense. If his voice wasn’t so clear then his laugh obviously wouldn’t be either, but it still surprised me. It was also the first time I saw him really smile. He had a big, bright white smile. He had a contagious smile that could have made everyone else in the room smile too.

               Lana and Mia sat down at the table with us a few minutes later. They didn’t bother saying anything about my knee or exercising or gymnastics. We made an agreement not to talk about it in front of people.

“How’s the day been so far?” Lana asked us.

I shrugged, “Fine I guess.”

“You’re really boring sometimes do you know that?” Lana asked.

“Yeah,” I smiled, “I’ve heard that.”

“What about the homecoming dance?” Mia asked, “Are you going?”

“I don’t know, probably not.”

“Why not?” she asked, “You have to come with us.”

“You guys know I don’t go to those things. I never have.”

“Is it because you don’t have a date?” Lana asked.

“No,” I slightly smiled, “I don’t date.”

“You mean you didn’t date,” Mia corrected.

I froze when she finished that sentence. She didn’t realize how she worded it until after she had already said it. She kept apologizing over and over, but all I could think was that I had to get out of there.

“Chloe?” Grant asked, “Are you okay?”

“I have to go.” I picked up my bag and tried to walk as fast as I could out of the cafeteria. I even left my lunch tray sitting on the table. I was almost to my locker when I got a sharp pain in my knee and collapsed onto the ground. I tried to stand up immediately, but my knee wouldn’t let me so I just sat up and leaned against a locker.

“Chloe?”

I opened my eyes and saw Grant standing in front of me. He sat down in front of me and waited for me so say something.

“What’d you see?” I finally asked after a few minutes.

“You fall.”

“Well forget it.”

“Chloe-“

“No,” I interrupted, “Nothing, Grant. You didn’t see anything. If you really want me as a friend then don’t tell anybody and don’t mention it ever again.”

“Fine.”

               I looked over at him as he answered, surprised. He really did mean it when he said he was never going to say things like that again. Maybe he really did want me as a friend. He helped me stand back up and he carried my bag for me to my next class. As the rest of the day went by Grant never said a word about what happened. After our argument yesterday I suspected he would at least say something, but he never did. He waved goodbye to me at the end of the day and watched me until I got safely into my car and drove away.

THE END CHAPTER 2!!!

feedback? Please vote, comment and fan :)