Chapter 1- First Impressions

“Hello Sir, Madam. I’m Angelina White, exchange student from Sweden. It’s a pleasure to meet you” I said smiling at the middle-aged couple in front of me. At least I believe that they are middle-aged; the man stood only a few inches taller than the woman and both held the eyes of people who were wise and kind. The wisdom they possessed was evident in their eyes, the slight fine lines around them only seeming to prove my point.

They both dressed modestly in almost matching attire, and the small crosses around their necks warmed my heart; there is probably nothing more beautiful than ones dedication to God. They literally depicted the perfect married couple- kind and loving as they live to be good people. Despite all that however, they also looked thoroughly confused- the woman especially. It took me a while to realise that I was at least three days early if not earlier and I was probably nothing more than stranger visiting their home on a random night. Laughing nervously, I tucked a strand of hair behind my ear in an attempt to buy time to say the right words; words that would explain why I was early but not unveil everything at the same time.

 And that would be very difficult.

I knew I must have looked unusual, dressed in white from head to toe, long platinum blonde, and almost white hair framing my pale face. I was just about to say something when the woman stepped forward and smiled at me, the confusion slowly withering away from her soft brown eyes as if it hadn’t existed at all. Feeling a sudden flood of relief I let out the breath I hadn’t known I was holding and beamed back, the dizziness getting to me from holding my breath for so long.

“I didn’t think you’d be getting here so soon” she said, kindly patting my shoulder. Unfortunately for me I was so caught up thinking about the narrow escape I’d just had that I’d forgot to put up my wall. As the strong jolt of something that can only be described as electricity invaded the old woman’s body I closed my eyes as she let out a little yelp. I knew what was happening; it was a special process called spiritification. It is unknown in this world and has remained unknown for a reason. If too many people knew about it, it could be jeopardy for all. I guess I knew this would happen sooner or later; it was basically inevitable that it would happen. I guess I was just hoping it wouldn’t be so soon. Leaving my thoughts behind I chose to ignore it.

The mere thought of frightening this kindly woman with the truth of why that just happened literally broke my human heart. Plus, she doesn’t need to know my origin in order for me to carry out my job- all she needs to know is that I only mean the best.

“I’m Mary” she introduced, looking quite flushed as she did so. She went for a handshake but instead I embraced her into a hug, mentally telling myself to control my Spiritual side. It worked, as she didn’t jump in shock like she did before.

“And I’m John” the man said. I smiled and embraced him into another hug.

“I would like to thank you both for welcoming me into your humble home” I exclaimed, beaming even more when I saw various Crucifixes and Prayer Beads strung around on the small Shrine. The Bible sat there in its case, clean and respected.

“It’s our pleasure! Now, it is quite late and you have school tomorrow, so I’ll just show you your room and hopefully Jessica decides to show her face” Mary said, sighing sadly at her afterthought. A pang of remorse hit me harshly as we cruised up the stairs. Jessica Bridgenson.

My newest assignment.

After a few short conversations and a sweet parting of goodbyes, I was finally alone in the room I had requested for a long time ago. Sitting down on my bed I fell back against the silk sheets revelling in its feel. Then and only then did I think about what had happened in the past year or so.