14. An Assassin's Shot

Rachel rushed outside slamming the door open and completely ignoring the confused looks she received from the men inside

She reached for her knife gripping it tightly in her hand as she sharply turned to face nothing but an empty and silent street. The wind blew in her face as her curious eyes searched for the assassin.

"That's truly no way to greet an assassin Falsworth I must say." Rachel spun around to face the assassin in full form. From head to toe in black and clearly with some sort of bulletproof. Black hair and dark grey blue eyes. A good three inches at least taller than Rachel as he smirked. "But I must admit you came prepared. Bulletproof or not."

"Or you sure have the nerve to show up here..." Rachel told the assassin. "To show your face is just a bonus."

"But this face has a name. The name's Carter Jones, Falsworth." Carter introduces as Rachel continued to hold her knife beside her. "And you will be seeing me a lot more in the future." He assured right as Steve walked outside not seeing Carter. Only Rachel's fearful eyes.

Steve's head slowly turned to see the man that Rachel was looking so scared at. An agent scared of the man of her nightmares. The key to changing history. In a bad way.

"Oh Rogers." He started smirking evilly in his direction. "I heard you wanted to find who shot Falsworth..." Steve's eyes focused on the man in front of him who threw so much bitterness in his tone. "Here I am..." Steve's fists clenched as Rachel noticed Carter reach for his pistol.

"Steve!" She yelled pushing him into the doorway as she threw her knife somehow perfectly knocking the gun out of his hand.

As soon as the two landed, Rachel felt Steve's heartbeat quickening in panic as she lifted herself up so she could see his fully red face.

"Thanks." He mumbles in shock. Rachel nodded at him before getting to her feet and rushing back out as Bucky opened the door with a concerned look on his face.

"What happened?" He asked helping Steve up.

"Rachel just saved me..." Steve panted in almost panic of being so close to death a matter of moments before.

Rachel sighed as Bucky rushed towards her as Steve leaned against the wall in shock.

"He's gone..." she muttered as she picked up her slightly bloody knife and kept still, kneeling on the pavement.

"The guy who just tried to kill Steve?" Bucky assumes looking down as Rachel with a worried look.

"The guy who's trying to kill the future." Rachel states standing up slowly. "And me with it."

- -

Rachel stood uncomfortably against one of the many walls of the underground S.S.R. Base. After what happened the night before she couldn't help but doubt her mission. She could fail and she could see now how a second could be too late.