12

Count Zhongyi’s residence couldn’t compare to Duke Ying residence’s grandiose style, but it too was vast and magnificent, and richly decorated. In front of the entrance stood two awe-inspiring guardian lion statues. The red lacquer gate was wide open. The gatekeeper knew that Duke Ying family’s misses and young masters were coming for a visit, so he rushed to welcome them in with a smile.

Wei Changxian took his Shandong dog along to jump down from the carriage, walking ahead full of confidence. He had spent a long time training this dog, and he was convinced he would definitely be able to beat Song Hui this time. Besides Duke Ying residence’s carriage at the entrance, there was an additional luxurious carriage with an azure rooftop and red tassels parked there. Wei Luo looked over curiously. The gatekeeper could immediately discern her interest, and explained enthusiastically: “This is Marquis Pingyuan’s carriage. Marquis Pingyuan family’s successor and their miss have also come, they’re currently in the rear court garden.”

Wei Luo’s eyes shone.

Marquis Pingyuan Liang Songnian was a well-established, handsome middle-aged man, who lead a clean and honest life, and never tried to participate in any political faction. He had earned Emperor Chong Zhen’s affection. But that wasn’t what Wei Luo was happy about, rather it was the news that Marquis Pingyuan residence’s heir and their miss had also come. Marquis Pingyuan’s wife and Jiang Miaolan were sworn sisters. After Jiang Miaolan had left, Marquis Pingyuan’s wife had been looking after the pair of sister and brother, Wei Luo and Changhong. Marquis Pingyuan’s family had altogether one son and one daughter. As the porter had said, they were obviously the successor Liang Yu and miss Liang Yurong. Liang Yurong and Wei Luo were about the same age. The two of them had gotten along well since childhood, and their dispositions were compatible as well, so they’d become very close friends.

Wei Luo hadn’t seen Liang Yurong for a long time, and had almost forgotten what she’d looked like as a child. In her past life, she had especially inquired after the girl’s affairs, but had regretfully found out she hadn’t fared well at all, making people feel very sorry for her.

Wei Changxian didn’t detect her peculiar mood. Learning that Song Hui was in the backyard, he impatiently lead his dog along to find him.

Wei Ya and Wei Zheng promptly followed, with Wei Luo and Changhong walking behind them. Ah Luo had been absent-minded for some time now. Only when Changhong called her name, did she regain her composure in a flash.

“What were you thinking about?”

Ah Luo blinked, and lied without the slightest change of expression, “I was wondering whose dog will win between third elder brother and big brother Song Hui.”

Changhong disliked Song Hui, so whether he really believed it or not, he said: “My guess is third elder brother will win.”

Ah Luo didn’t express an opinion. Holding his hand, they soon reached the rear court’s lotus pond. It was the beginning of spring, lotus flowers were spread over the pond on dark green leaves, but they hadn’t yet opened their buds. However, the dangling branches of the numerous crabapple trees at the shore were just entering their most gorgeous and graceful period, the pink and white blossoms each striving to bloom, more beautiful than anything. There were some branches unable to support the weight of the flowers, and a few petals gently drifted down. Just as Ah Luo was walking below the trees, a petal landed on her lashes. She blinked delicately, causing the petal to slide along her smooth and soft white cheek. Raising her eyes, she caught sight of a lean, refined youth standing below an eight-sided gazebo not too far from her.

Only turning twelve this year, his age wasn’t very high. His stature was comparatively tall. He was dressed in a purple robe embroidered with golden bamboo leaves pattern, on his waist hung a mutton fat jade (nephrite) ornament. His appearance was dazzling, with a beautiful face.