Preview

(Thank you so very much for taking the time to read this work. Please take a moment to rate it. For your time, I'd like to share a brief preview of what's next in this adventure... )

Guardians of the Seventh Realm 

"Don't you think he's a bit young for that?" the woman asked, admiring her baby as he sat among the pile of blankets, chewing on the gold chain that held a round pendant.

There was a faint glow coming from its center, and the wood crackled in the fireplace.

"He isn't that much younger than I was the first time I held it," the man said, wrapping his arms around her. He kissed her gently on the neck. She smiled. "Besides," he continued, "he should understand its connection early."

The woman, who stood about five-six with long black locks flowing down her back, turned to look at her husband. Her warm green eyes made him smile. He stood about five-nine with short brown hair and eyes.

"I agree, but perhaps it can wait until he's able to hold it properly."

"Sure." He laughed. "But then what would we use to teethe him

with?"

They both chuckled as they looked on. The castle floors were cold, but the fireplace warmed the room. There were two large sitting chairs adjacent to the fireplace and on ether side of the blankets.

On the opposite end of the wall, a small wooden table sat holding a candle. As they turned for the chairs, a knock on the door followed by a request to enter redirected the male. He smiled at his wife in recognition of the voice on the other side. The woman returned the smile, and walked over to the child.

"Yes, Rhe? I expect you have a fiercely important reason for interrupting my evening." He chuckled slightly as he opened the door.

"Yes mi'lord...may I come in?"

The man's brows lowered slightly as he took in Rhe's expression of horror. He looked at his wife briefly before stepping aside to let him in. Rhe was of similar height and build as the man, but had dark red hair and gray eyes. The condition of his armor suggested he'd been in some kind of a struggle. The sheathed sward at his hip indicated that the struggle was not serious enough for the expression he wore, which only made the man more curious.

"My apologies, mi'lord," Rhe said, bowing deeply.

The woman reached down to pick up her baby, then looked to Rhe for his explanation.

"The castle walls..." Rhe began, then dropped to his knees suddenly, and wrapped his arms around his midsection, screeching in pain. The man reached out to him, but Rhe shuffled back slightly. The man's brows lowered, and he reached out again cautiously this time, only lightly placing a hand on his shoulder.

"Rhe, what's going on?"

After a moment, Rhe was still. Only his shoulders moved as he breathed in and out. He looked up, smiling crookedly. The man's eyes widened, and he swiftly removed his hand from Rhe's shoulder and backed away slowly.

Rhe laughed tauntingly. "I didn't think it would be this easy," he said in a deep, husky voice.

The man looked at his wife, who held their child close to her bosom. She closed her eyes and disappeared in a flash of bright white light. Rhe's eyes turned red as he looked on and noticed that the baby was holding the pendant.

"No!" he yelled, reaching for the woman, but he was too late. He turned to the man, who then asked angrily, "What...have you done...with Rhe?"

As if in response to his question, Rhe's lifeless body fell to the ground, his expression frozen in fear. In his place stood a creature more than seven feet tall. His skin was tan, and pulled tightly over his massive frame. Large claws rested where feet should have been. The sides of his legs were covered in thin white hair. His hands were large claws tipped with massive black nails. There was a second set of arms folded across his waist that were somewhat concealed under the black cloak he wore.